Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: very large saw nut assembly

Thanks
    Thanked 9,027 Times in 4,321 Posts

Frank S's Tools

very large saw nut assembly

There may be another name for them, but I only heard things like this called saw nuts or spool bolt & nut T nut sorta fits I guess

It is a 3 piece assembly which will be the pivot point for the scissor arms on the machine I am prototyping
    1 inch main body OD 1 3/8" long with a 1 1/2" dia. flange drilled and counter bored to allow the nut to be mated inside the bore to a recessed socket head cap screw
    very large saw nut assembly-img_20211104_180228sn.jpg

very large saw nut assembly-img_20211104_180212sn.jpg
    very large saw nut assembly-img_20211104_180258sn.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,868 Times in 1,667 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Large Saw Nut Assembly to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2,000+ Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    This reminds me I need to make up a few of these for some old hand saws I have (smaller of coarse). Probably go the two piece route though.

Thanks

Daturat100r's Tools
    Often called Chicago Screws after the company who made them popular ,commonly available in wide range of materials ,sizes and styles and so cheap you would not bother making them unless for ultra special purpose

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daturat100r For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Nov 9, 2021)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    This from Apex Fasteners:
    A sex bolt, (also known as a barrel nut, barrel bolt, 'Chicago screw' or post and screw), is a type of fastener (nut) which has a barrel-shaped flange and protruding boss that is internally threaded. The boss sits within the components being fastened, the flange provides the bearing surface. The sex bolt and accompanying machine screw sit flush on either side of the surfaces being fastened. It is normally chosen because of its low profile compared to other nuts. The sex bolt often has a built-in feature, such as a slot, to aid in tightening the fastener. Some sex bolts, more commonly known as 'architectural bolts', have knurled barrels to allow one-sided assembly. 'Binding posts' are similar to architectural bolts in that they are designed to be assembled from one side, but they have teeth on the flanged surface to keep them fixed.

A sex bolt is a mating fastener combining a nut with a screw. The sex bolt consists of a female threaded barrel and a male threaded screw. Both the barrel and screw have heads designed to clamp (bind) material between the head of the barrel and the head of the screw, or to bridge the gap between two parts.

Mating fasteners are known by many different names: sex bolt, binding posts, Chicago screws, interscrews, barrel bolts, barrel nut, partition screws, door closure bolts, furniture screws, panel fasteners, architectural sex bolts, arch series screws, hinge screws, display fasteners, screw nuts, connector bolts, threaded rivets, grommet nuts, post and screw sets, book screws, and stationary screws. Applications vary widely from book binding to installing bathroom partitions. This group of fasteners are used to assemble fitness apparatus, solar panels, playground equipment, railing systems, furniture, athletic helmets, knives, store fixtures, signs, panic bars, and many other products.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IntheGroove For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Nov 9, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,027 Times in 4,321 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Thanks but I think I will just call the saw nuts. I knew there were several other names but saw nut what I remembered first

2,000+ Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information