Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Tanner Jointer/Planer Restoration

Supporting Member The Hobby Machinist NZ's Avatar
    Thanks

The Hobby Machinist NZ's Tools

Tanner Jointer/Planer Restoration

In this video I clean up and restore an old Tanner planer/jointer, and make a new stand for it.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Hobby Machinist NZ For This Useful Post:

freddo4 (Jun 18, 2024), Sleykin (Jun 18, 2024)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for your post. My son-in-law is restoring an identical machine that belonged to my dad. We're in Christchurch.
    Fred

2,000+ Tool Plans

Supporting Member The Hobby Machinist NZ's Avatar
    Thanks

The Hobby Machinist NZ's Tools
    Thanks for your comment. I had a look around on Google and Youtube and I could not find much info on these NZ made planers, hence part of the reason why I made the video. I hope the video is useful for your son-in-laws restore.

One thing that I had issues with was removing and installing the in feed table. It has that extra bit of casting that holds the blade guard. That seems to hit the bearing cover when you remove or install the table, and the table wont go on because you cant get it into the dove tails. In the end I had to loosen the nut that holds the adjusting handle to so that I have some more wriggle room to get the table into the dove tails and the adjusting handle thread into the nut at the same time. It was a bit of a struggle, but I got there in the end. I did not try this but maybe another option is to install the spindle after you have the in feed table installed. That was not really an option for me because I already had already installed the spindle, the motor and the frame panels, and the center of the planer was bolted to the stand. I just thought that I would mention this issue.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Hobby Machinist NZ For This Useful Post:

freddo4 (Jun 18, 2024)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for that tip, I'll pass it on to son-in-law. This planer is labelled "Dyco" but it's identical to a Tanner. It's mounted on a metal stand which looks original. The stand has a dodgy looking surface mounted connection for an extension cable, with three pins like the male end of a cable. That will have to go...

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thread Information