Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: T-14 Armata tank X-engine - photos

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

kboy0076 (Oct 5, 2023), KustomsbyKent (Sep 27, 2023), mr mikey (Sep 27, 2023), nova_robotics (Sep 26, 2023), piper184 (Sep 26, 2023), rlm98253 (Sep 26, 2023), tuchie (Sep 26, 2023)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    That's a bit of engineering. I knew a guy that was a tank mechanic in Russia nearly 30 years ago. They used bronze rings on the cylinders. Method to the madness. Save the cylinder, replace the rings.

Mark

2,000+ Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 655 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    They used bronze rings on the cylinders.
    That's a new one to me. I guess cylinders wear a tiny little bit even with conventional iron or steel rings. What were the cylinder liners made of that this would be a concern? Sounds like they would be using very poor cylinder liner materials for this to even be a consideration. Either that or horrible lubrication. Maybe both?

I have a cast aluminum V8 engine that has no cylinder liners. The process is called alusil and silicon particles are introduced in the aluminum. The cylinders are machined directly in the casting. The rings interface directly with the aluminum/silicon matrix. It's a very interesting design which I believe was used a lot in motorcycles. Anyway even with this unique construction they use conventional rings and both the cylinders and rings tend to last forever.

2,000+ Tool Plans

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

mr mikey (Sep 27, 2023), rlm98253 (Sep 26, 2023)

Thread Information