Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: So many things to build, so little time

Thanks

Mikebr5's Tools

So many things to build, so little time

Hello, I found this site during a search for methods that have been used to ground a welding positioner.
    Glad to have found this site... Looks like a dream to me.
    I weld, machine, hammer, grind, disassemble (and assemble almost as often) to make things. Sometimes they turn out just the way I hoped, other times I scratch my head and mutter "What was I thinking?" before taking it apart for future projects.
    My machine collection includes a sawmill, welders, CNC plasma table, milling machine, 2 lathes, couple of hydraulic presses, OBI press, and various other tools. Too many tools, really.
    If it involves old thick steel and iron, all the better.
    I look forward to learning from you folks. Thanks.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,031 Times in 11,699 Posts
    Hi Mikebr5 - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Sounds like you'll fit in nicely here. What's next up on your project list?

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thanks

Mikebr5's Tools
    Thank you for the kind welcome Jon.
    This is a year of misery because of workload for me, and my only good relaxation comes from working in the shop.
    I am building a house and doing most of the work myself, so I should have not much free time.
    Fun projects include making swiveling overhead lights for the lathe/mill, hanging targets for long range shooting, a new 2-sided stock rack, a small removable crane mounted to my welding table, making ramp for a trailer, ... Mercy. I have a LOT more on my list. One of the lights just got done a few nights ago. I wanted to be able to use one of the LED tube-fixtures do double duty, so hung it out 5.5' on a swivel.
    The trailer ramp held up under 1200 pounds with no noticeable flex, which means to me that I built it too heavy.
    All of my machines were moved from last home, so still in the process of getting the full shop up and running.
    A bigger project that I hope to finish this year is a trailer capable of loading large logs for the sawmill.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,031 Times in 11,699 Posts
    Interesting; I just installed some LED tube fixtures in my garage/shop; swiveling one out is a good idea.

Thanks

Mikebr5's Tools
    There are probably 10,000 ways to do it. Here was mine. Have several more to do, and each will be different I bet. hah
    A shortcut was available - I built two of these wall mounts about 10 years ago for blueprint hangers.

Here is a weakness of mine. I find something that fits together nicely and think that they were just made for each other.
    A 1/2-13 unistrut nut, with spring. The spring slid snugly into the pipe, so ...

It is important to have detailed engineered drawings. Here are mine.

The set up.

The fit up.

The joining in holy matrimony.

I like 1/2-13 for so much... And Unistrut parts are TinkerToys for big boys.

Any time that I have a chance, screws and lag bolts go into non-loadbearing members. I was putting this up during the 3 year old daughter's nap time so I was ratcheting all these lag bolts in by hand.
    Here you can see how I attached three 5" lag bolts, and then laboriously ratcheted the 4th into place. As the last threads on the last lag bolt reached the 2x6 the lag bolt broke. No one likes things to go too easily. Right?

So they all come out, the bracket comes down and I got lucky. There was just enough to get a grip on it.

I wanted to put it in that exact spot, so there wasn't much option anyway. It would have been a real chore if the lag bolt had broken off below the surface of the stud.

I didn't snap pics of the pin/bolt set up, but the red circle is where I placed a drop pin- matching holes in the horizontal stub pipe and lighter conduit.
    The yellow circle marks the spot for the 1/4-20 bolt, which holds the 3'10" bedframe angle that the LED fixture hangs from.
    Sorry for the lousy lighting. It is at just the right spot to swing over the lathe or the mill.

Last edited by Mikebr5; Jul 30, 2017 at 10:28 AM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mikebr5 For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jul 30, 2017), metric_taper (Jul 30, 2017), Seedtick (Jul 31, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,875 Times in 1,673 Posts

Thanks Mikebr5! We've added your Blueprint Hanger to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: Mikebr5's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thread Information