1950s steamroller toy - GIF

1950s steamroller toy.

Previously:

1925 Barber steamroller - photos
    1930 steamroller - GIF
    Old Buffalo Springfield steamroller - photo

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToolTalkBot For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Yesterday), rlm98253 (Yesterday)

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    Ok, that is super cool! I'm not old enough to have had one of those as a kid, but I would have wanted one regardless of age.

For the guys that might have had one, why is there a flame coming out of the rear tube, like a flame thrower? He only lit that after the engine was spinning.
    Also, I'm assuming there was supposed to be a rubber o-ring belt that went around the top shaft with flywheel and down around the rear large wheel?

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by KustomsbyKent View Post
    Ok, that is super cool! I'm not old enough to have had one of those as a kid, but I would have wanted one regardless of age.

For the guys that might have had one, why is there a flame coming out of the rear tube, like a flame thrower? He only lit that after the engine was spinning.
    Also, I'm assuming there was supposed to be a rubber o-ring belt that went around the top shaft with flywheel and down around the rear large wheel?
    The later version made by Mamod used a coiled spring band from the outboard side of the flywheel driving on the centre line of the rear wheel, both of my parents unknowingly of each other bought me a Mamod Traction engine one Christmas, so I ended up with two of them, I still have one of them, my younger brother had the other. More here:https://www.modelenthusiasts.com/MAM...1A/-SR1A..html

That burner is different to mine, which was a mesh covered asbestos rope absorber/burner for methalated spirits, later versions used small hexamine fuel tablets in a tray to remove the asbestos issue.

2,000+ Tool Plans
    Last edited by NeiljohnUK; Today at 10:10 AM.

Thread Information