Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hybrid truck recharges from overhead wires in Germany - GIF

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    Also, Frank, if nuclear power plants had not been so demonized it could be the way to go since it can generate large amounts of power per plant size and contribute nothing or very nearly so to anything that harms the atmosphere. Yes, the waste has to be disposed of safely, but it takes up very much less volume than most people would think. Nuclear power is also very safe considering the amount of time it has been in use. A lot of attention goes to the accidents but there is a lot of it being used safely out there. France gets about 70% of its electricity from nuclear plants. Actually, I'm not personally opposed to the use so called fossil fuels, especially natural gas, because I don't believe there is a climate emergency. There are some good results to be expected of a limited warming of the Earth. Better agricultural results and less people dying of cold weather. Yes heat kills people too but not nearly as many as freezing weather. These are my thoughts which I'm sure many would disagree with. But that is what having a discussion is all about.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Floradawg For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Sep 24, 2024)

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by schuylergrace View Post
    Here, in Arizona, about half (46%) of our electricity is still generated by natural gas, but nuclear also is a major source (27%). Coal is fast dwindling, as coal fired plants and coal mines shut down, primarily because coal plants cost so much to operate and coal is an expensive and dirty fuel. Solar, in fact is outpacing coal now, and we generate a reasonable share from wind (fast expanding) and hydro.

In the U.S., as a whole, natural gas makes up about 43% of the supply, while coal still supplies about 15%, but that number is dropping quickly. Renewables are up to about 30%, while nuclear is around 10%. Natural gas is still being used because it's currently cheap and plentiful. Oil supplies only a fraction of a percent of all electricity production.
    True, but it is a stretch IMHO to say that EVs contribute next to nothing to our horrible smoggy air. Also, the production of them, especially the batteries, is very nasty to the environment. Yes, most of that is a world away but it still should not happen.

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by schuylergrace View Post
    Here, in Arizona, about half (46%) of our electricity is still generated by natural gas, but nuclear also is a major source (27%). Coal is fast dwindling, as coal fired plants and coal mines shut down, primarily because coal plants cost so much to operate and coal is an expensive and dirty fuel. Solar, in fact is outpacing coal now, and we generate a reasonable share from wind (fast expanding) and hydro.

In the U.S., as a whole, natural gas makes up about 43% of the supply, while coal still supplies about 15%, but that number is dropping quickly. Renewables are up to about 30%, while nuclear is around 10%. Natural gas is still being used because it's currently cheap and plentiful. Oil supplies only a fraction of a percent of all electricity production.
    I would like to visit Arizona. I have been to New Mexico and it was pretty cool. I will have to plan a trip there. There is beauty in all 50 states. I am so appreciative of being here. I took a road trip across Texas last year. It's really interesting how the terrain changes as you cross it. It's BIG! Everything's big in Texas. One thing I remember is on the back of a semi trailer on the bottom left was an arrow pointing left and it said "El Paso". On the bottom right was an arrow pointing right and it said "El Smasho".

Supporting Member schuylergrace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Arizona is a great place for a visit, even an extended one. But after 26+ years of living here, I'm pretty much done with all its drawbacks, the incessant heat being the main one. About the only thing the state doesn't have is an ocean beach, but those are close by, too. You can ski sometimes up until June, and the mountains up north and down south are beautiful all year round (but in very different ways). The low and high deserts are amazing with beautiful landscapes everywhere and all sorts of wildlife. We have lakes, too, and everything from one of the largest cities in the country to actual ghost towns. I've spent much of my time exploring all the corners of this place, but I miss cooler, wetter climes. Here are shots of one of our magnificent dust storms (haboobs) overtaking Phoenix one afternoon and another I shot in infrared of Four Peaks with snow on top, just a few miles north of my home in Mesa (a Phoenix suburb).
    Hybrid truck recharges from overhead wires in Germany - GIF-dust3.jpgHybrid truck recharges from overhead wires in Germany - GIF-four-peaks-small-ir.jpg

For topical application, only. Not to be taken internally or used in com-
    bination with other drugs or alcohol, except as directed by your shaman.
    Do not operate heavy equipment, unless you actually know how to.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to schuylergrace For This Useful Post:

Floradawg (Yesterday)

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    What do you think is the best time of the year for a visit? I appreciate the info. When I went to NM with my wife at the time, now deceased, we went all over the state, and it was great. She had terminal cancer, and she had always wanted to go.

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thread Information