Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Sanding Block

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Shelly142's Tools

Sanding Block

Have not seen this version of a sanding block on the forum. Thought I might share this tool with the forum. It was first observed some fifty odd years ago in one of the tool shops of my employer and I thought I might share it with the forum. It requires a block of material large enough to accommodate a standard 9” X 11” sheet of sand paper or emery cloth and a wooden key to retain the sanding paper. The key can be rectangular or wooden dowel. The only tool required to produce this DIY tool is a table saw to keep things straight and square.

I have included a photo of one configuration and a sketch of an alternative configuration. This one I loaned to a friend, must have grown legs.

In any case either one needed are quick and easy to make.

Sanding Block-sanding-block.jpgSanding Block-sanding-block-1a.jpgSanding Block-sanding-block-2a.jpgSanding Block-sanding-block-3a.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shelly142 For This Useful Post:

ductape (Yesterday), Jon (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,517 Times in 2,144 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I've offered some forms of sanding blocks with other arrangements for securing the paper.

Sanding blocks

Both of the pictured blocks are dimensioned such that a strip cut from a standard sheet of sandpaper will just fit without any trimming required.

2,000+ Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Experience is always far worse than pessimism

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Shelly142's Tools
    The blocks are intended to utilize a full sheet 9 X 11 inch paper. This should leave approx. 3/8" each side of the sheet that will fold
    into the channel and held in place with the rectangular key or dowel. I apologize if I left something out of this narrative. In the event
    that the paper comes up short for some reason, a simple remedy is to narrow the block. The configuration of the block can be made
    into just about any shape desired, such as a hexagon or wedge, still utilizing the channel and key.

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thread Information