Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Underground driveway parking space - GIF

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToolTalkBot For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Sep 6, 2024), Ralphxyz (Yesterday), Tule (Sep 6, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,041 Times in 4,327 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    There are more than a few things wrong with this video demonstration. First off, the thickness of the driveway where the cover retracts into leaves no room for any support, unless the driveway is a thick piece of solid steel it couldn't possibly support anything being driven over it. the cover itself is completely cantilevered with not support track on either end, and also looks to be thin. raising it up to ground level would be a simple enough task to accomplish but without some form of locking devices on the closing side and or ends it would be springy at best just to walk over it.
    I call this video computer generated

2,000+ Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

albertq (Sep 8, 2024), Inner (Sep 6, 2024), TrickieDickie (Sep 6, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 846 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Ha, I just sent that video to my son. According to the HOA in his neighborhood. All vehicles have to be stored inside. but the garages are too short for most vehicles. His Tacoma will not even fit unless he removes the SMALL work bench he has in the garage.

Thanks
    I can see how this can be made to work.but I would rather just extend the garage!!if I built that in fl it would be a swimming pool the first rain.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,041 Times in 4,327 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Back when I was manufacturing custom lifts, I built a few that lowered the cars into the basements of houses the simplest way would be to build a scissors lift with an upper and lower platform the top platform would in this case be the cap sealing the driveway then just raise the lift to access the vehicle. Much less complicated and infinitely more reliable as there would only be a single operation to retrieving or storing the vehicle. If the lift was built with enough capacity a vehicle parked on top of the cover would not even have to be moved to have access to the one stored below. We did one in Ca. for a doctor who had his house built to be able to store two cars one below the floor. with the cover over them. The one we did for a guy in Verginia lowered his exotic toy down to his man cave where he could tinker with it whenever he wanted
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Sep 6, 2024)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Follow Colin Furze on Youtube. He's in the process of making an underground parking garage that ties into the "secret" tunnels he's already built. Quite the project.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rstews For This Useful Post:

Inner (Sep 6, 2024)

Thanks
    i would like to put a lift on my garage. Ill need to raize the celeing in a small section for clearance. I should of built with 10' celings not 8 foot. but it woodent be that hard to do. and my car is low any way. just need to win the lottery first.!! and stop the ageing prosess....

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thread Information