Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Engine removal/work trolly mods.

Thanks

th62's Tools

Engine removal/work trolly mods.

Some alterations to the engine removal trolly I made a while back: The lifting mechanism has been tilted forward about 40 degrees so I could add longer handles to the adjusting nut and also so it gears down the lift a little with eaxh turn.
    The top arm has been replaced with a mechanism that tilts the engine sideways, the trolly can now lift, tilt the engine forward/backward and also sideways.
    I also modified the pivoting axis, adding an arm to invert the engine. The engine can now be rotated 180degrees, 360 degrees if you change the pivoting arm to the other side.
    Handles have been added to the mechanisms so I no longer need those pesky spanners the shed gremlins are always hiding.
    The engine is such a tight fitmin the frame that previously, without the side tilting mechanism, the engine scraped the top and bottom frame tubes when removing. The side tilting mechanism clears the engine from the frame so it no longer scrapes the frame tubes.
    Once finished I had to test it, so I removed the engine from the frame, it took about five minutes. Since I had the engine out I stripped it and reassembled it again without having to remove it from the trolly, then plonked the engine back in the frame again. Even quicker replacing it. This time around I pressed the crank apart and rebuilt it with the correct clearnances.
    Not much use for it now, it's not every day I need to remove the engine, but, I do enjoy designing and building strange stuff, and it gave me a chance to play with the engine again. I like playing with engines, my vocabulary expands exponentially when working on an engine. Oddly though, Glenda doesn't like my new locutions...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Engine removal/work trolly mods.-win_20240721_11_21_09_pro.jpg   Engine removal/work trolly mods.-win_20240716_16_10_20_pro.jpg   Engine removal/work trolly mods.-win_20240716_16_03_23_pro.jpg   Engine removal/work trolly mods.-win_20240716_16_03_11_pro.jpg   Engine removal/work trolly mods.-win_20240716_16_02_53_pro.jpg  

Engine removal/work trolly mods.-6.jpg   Engine removal/work trolly mods.-7.jpg   Engine removal/work trolly mods.-8.jpg   Engine removal/work trolly mods.-9.jpg  
    Download plans for engine stands and lifts.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to th62 For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Sep 3, 2024), PJs (Sep 3, 2024)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 1,667 Posts

Thanks th62! We've added your Engine Trolley Modification to our Motorcycle Lifts, Stands, and Dollies category,
    as well as to your builder page: th62's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Download plans for engine stands and lifts.

Thread Information