Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Screw slotting tip

Thanks
    Thanked 6,510 Times in 2,144 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Screw slotting tip

The only thing worse than slotted screws is having to slot one when you need to make a special one. If you need to slot a bunch it's probably worth the time to make a jig and do the work on the mill but, if it's a one off, this tip should take some of the frustration out of the job.

The slot can be made with a model-maker's mini hacksaw or, for really small screws a jeweler's saw and blade. The difficulty is keeping the sawn slot centered on the screw head.. To set up the picture of the tip I used my finger plate, described here...

More versatile finger plate

because it had evenly spaced lines of already tapped holes. (Please ignore the other job, drilling a key, that i left in place.)

Place the screw to be slotted in the middle between two evenly spaced cylinders. Here I used threaded rods for the cylinders.)

Screw slotting tip-screw-sloting-1.jpg

and orient the screw so that by keying the saw blade against the cylinders a slot will be cut across the middle of the screw. Here a piece of bamboo stands in for the saw blade...

Screw slotting tip-screw-sloting-2.jpg

One advantage of using the finger plate was the fact that both cylinders and the screw could be prevented from rotating by the use of lock nuts on the bottom of the finger plate.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Experience is always far worse than pessimism

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

BuffaloJohn (Sep 1, 2024), cognitdiss (Sep 7, 2024), davesrepair (Sep 8, 2024), Jon (Aug 31, 2024), rebuilder1954 (Sep 7, 2024), robbitalia18 (Sep 4, 2024), that_other_guy (Sep 7, 2024), thevillageinn (Sep 3, 2024)

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,798 Times in 11,632 Posts
    Congratulations mklotz - your screw slotting method is the Tool Tip of the Month for August 2024!

This clever tip makes a frustrating job easy and accurate, and it is an excellent use of your homemade finger plate.

mklotz - we've added your Tool Tip to our All Tool Tips of the Month winners post.

And, you'll be receiving a $100 prize, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and prize choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

Congrats again

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thread Information