Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Tool for installing windshield seal

Thanks
    Thanked 9,034 Times in 4,325 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Tool for installing windshield seal

In today's world nearly, if not all windshields, windscreens to those of you who like that term, are glued in place.

I prefer to work on vehicles with a rubber seal to hold the glass in place. These often include the need for a rubber bead called a lock strip that adds pressure to the flanges of the rubber seal.
    We took our 89 Mack superliner to get a Texas DOT inspection on it so we could transfer the tittle from out of state then register is with antique or historical plates. It failed due to a stone chip in the passenger windshield that was beginning to develop a migrating crack. Just a chip would have passed as the windshield on the driver's side had a small stone chip and the guy said it would be ok until it begins to show a crack.
    I knew a guy who does auto and truck glass for a living located in a not too far distant area. I called him and told him that I needed a Passenger side windshield and installed on an 89 Mack R cab superliner.

I can get you the glass cheap enough but can't install it. don't have the tools or the knowledge to install windows on older equipment and trucks.

Fine the glass arrived a couple days later. Installing this older glass is nothing new to me I've done it many times But same as he I didn't have the lock strip tool, so I made one out of an 8mm box end wrench

Tool for installing windshield seal-img_20240808_091616w.jpg

Tool for installing windshield seal-img_20240808_091620w.jpg
    with a little liquid Dawn dish soap the install went so quickly I almost forget to get a picture
    Tool for installing windshield seal-img_20240808_094346w.jpg

Tool for installing windshield seal-img_20240808_100407w.jpg

Tool for installing windshield seal-img_20240808_100431w.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 31, 2024), Jon (Sep 1, 2024), metric_taper (Aug 30, 2024), mr mikey (Aug 30, 2024), mwmkravchenko (Sep 2, 2024), PJs (Sep 3, 2024), rlmck111 (Aug 30, 2024), thevillageinn (Sep 1, 2024)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 1,667 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Windshield Seal Installation Tool to our Autobody category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thanks
    Great idea! BTW, is that a Snap-On wrench?
    and now you get to remove the window to take care of the rust...

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Never thought about that before Frank. Nice way to get it done. I have done the glue-in type windshields but never one like this. I will remember.

Mark

Thanks
    Thanked 9,034 Times in 4,325 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    Never thought about that before Frank. Nice way to get it done. I have done the glue-in type windshields but never one like this. I will remember.

Mark
    Mark there is another type of window mounting rubber commonly used on cars and pickups from the mid 50s through the late 90s which did not have the lock strip.
    You stretched the rubber seal over the glass then wrapped a rosin cord around the outer grove placed the glass in place the best you could then from inside you pulled the cord from around the grove this would cause the lip of the seal to be pulled inside By the time you had pulled the cord all the way around the inner seal lip was in place, Job done. Again, dish washing liquid in the grove was your best friend.

2,000+ Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Sep 2, 2024), PJs (Sep 3, 2024)

Thread Information