Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Need some money so became a stripper!

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,175 Times in 423 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Need some money so became a stripper!

Hi All

With the cost of building materials being so high I decided I need to make some money to buy the replacement windows and doors on the house I am renovating.

Have a lot of cable so decided to make a cable stripper machine to maximise the current copper scrap value.

The machine was designed around the motor I had lying around, as the output shaft was a decent length to support on two bearings and fix a vee groove driver. The body of the machine was cobbled together and the cutting blade made from gauge plate and hardened and tempered.

To enable smaller gauge wire to be stripped a few collets were made to align the wire as close to the cutter and central to the drive vee so it couldn’t wonder away

To cut large cable the vee drive can be swapped out for a larger vee drive.

The machine is operated via a foot pedal so the machine is not constantly running.

The photos will hopefully make more sense of the build

Need some money so became a stripper!-img_8242.jpegMotor on base plate and shims to get the cutting assembly to the correct height.

Need some money so became a stripper!-img_8549.jpeg Need some money so became a stripper!-img_8548.jpg Need some money so became a stripper!-img_8236.jpeg Complete machine.

Need some money so became a stripper!-img_8550.jpeg Need some money so became a stripper!-img_8237.jpegCollets for different diameter cables.

Need some money so became a stripper!-img_8546.jpegCollet in place to feed cable into the cutter and lower drive wheel attached to motor output shaft.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8244.jpeg 
Views:	421 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	47784 Need some money so became a stripper!-img_8246.jpeg

Need some money so became a stripper!-img_8238.jpeg Need some money so became a stripper!-img_8240.jpegThe cable flies through the machine and the copper is easily removed.

Need some money so became a stripper!-img_8545.jpeg Need some money so became a stripper!-img_8230.jpegPVC insulation scored to allow copper to be removed.

Now for the money shots! Just wait for the price to be right and then weigh it in.
    Need some money so became a stripper!-img_8551.jpeg Need some money so became a stripper!-img_8552.jpeg

There is a lot of talk is it worth stripping cable? time and effort vs return. My answer is this was a fun project to build and it works. Haven’t worked out my hourly rate, but the extra cash will help towards bits and pieces for the house refurbishment. So for myself a lot of effort but great to see the copper pile up.

Thank you for viewing and sorry if you are disappointed with the content as the title is a little bit misleading 🤪 but you definitely wouldn’t want to see that!

The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

7074 sc (Aug 19, 2024), clydeman (Aug 13, 2024), EclecticNeophyte (Aug 15, 2024), emu roo (Aug 13, 2024), Improvised DIY (Aug 16, 2024), Jon (Aug 12, 2024), Philip Davies (Aug 12, 2024), rlm98253 (Aug 18, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,029 Times in 4,321 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I like your build. Stripping wire by hand or even with a hand cranked stripper can be a royal pain.
    I noticed you went direct drive on the motor shaft though. I can't make out the RPM but you stated the wire flies through the cutter Having a foot switch is a really good safety measure, adding a VFD or SCR to allow you to vary the speed would add another safety measure. But maybe you don't need it/

2,000+ Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Aug 13, 2024)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 1,667 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Cable Stripper to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    I’ve played around with a few similar projects, and it’s always rewarding to see your setup working. Stripping cable can definitely be worth it if you have the time and the equipment like yours.
    NGL that was a good clickbait)))

2,000+ Tool Plans

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeHael For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Aug 18, 2024)

Thread Information