Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Cleaning a radiator - GIF

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToolTalkBot For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Aug 6, 2024), nova_robotics (Aug 6, 2024)

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    That's what happens when you use chocolate milk instead of anti-freeze. I didn't know anyone bothered with that anymore. I just buy new ones.

2,000+ Tool Plans
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Floradawg For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Aug 6, 2024)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Floradawg View Post
    That's what happens when you use chocolate milk instead of anti-freeze. I didn't know anyone bothered with that anymore. I just buy new ones.
    Some people have more time than money...

Thanks
    Thanked 9,028 Times in 4,321 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    In many countries obtaining spare or repair parts is difficult. Here in the USA too many people just throw things away which could otherwise be cleaned or repaired.
    However due to the costs of doing business IE taxes, insurances, safety protocols, building overhead, employee entitlement benefits, and other compensations, Business owners cannot justify rebuilding or repairing most things anymore. Just huck it in the recycle bin or the landfill and move on. charge your customer 3 times the cost of the replacement item and make your pocket fatter you customers will never know the difference.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    The main reason I didn't think people cleaned them out anymore is because of the plastic used in most radiators now. I didn't think they could be disassembled. I guess I never looked closely enough at how they were put together.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,028 Times in 4,321 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    The main reason I didn't think people cleaned them out anymore is because of the plastic used in most radiators now. I didn't think they could be disassembled. I guess I never looked closely enough at how they were put together.
    The reasons for using plastic in radiators and a host of other things is because it is cheap to mold or form plastics. The up side for the manufactures is plastics will only last for a limited time before degrading causing the need for replacement. If it lasted forever than there would be no reason for people to buy new vehicles or buy replacement parts.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    Labor costs make a huge difference in deciding whether to repair or replace a part. Here in the US, I'll replace a $120 radiator because it would cost double that to repair it. In Pakistan, a radiator rebuild job (disassembling, cleaning, reassembling, and brazing any pinholes) is under $10, so you'd repair it instead. In one place labor is $50/hour, in the other it's $6/day.

It's the same reason they have vendors that will disassemble and repair LED lightbulbs. You'd never spend a half-hour of technician time to do that here, but it's worth it there.

2,000+ Tool Plans

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elizabeth Greene For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Aug 12, 2024)

Thread Information