Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Safe removal of under slung motor plate.

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,175 Times in 423 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Safe removal of under slung motor plate.

Hi All

This is how I secured the winch motor plate to the chassis. This could be used when ever a motor needs to be under slung in a project to help locate and remove safely.

As the winch motor is mounted underneath the chassis of my trailer mover, I decided to use a key hole slot and socket head screws to allow the plate with motor attached to be located to the chassis. This means once located within the two key hole slots the heads of the cap screws hold the plate up in place. Meaning there is no struggling to hold the plate in place or the use of a jack etc. to locate bolts and washers to lock it in place. In reverse from a maintenance perspective the bolts can be completely removed and then the plate slide along the slots until the heads locate in the large hole at the end, meaning two hands can be used to slide and lower to the ground safely.

Hopefully the photos will help my explanation

Safe removal of under slung motor plate.-img_8509.jpegUnderside of mover battery and ball attachment removed so the chassis can be turned upside down for clarity.

Safe removal of under slung motor plate.-img_8511.jpegFour hexagon M10 bolts lock plate to the chassis.

Safe removal of under slung motor plate.-img_8510.jpegChain adjustment also incorporated in to motor plate.

Safe removal of under slung motor plate.-img_8464.jpegThe four bolts and the key holes slots can be seen in this picture. Just above the chassis is the plate with the two M10 socket head cap screws.

Safe removal of under slung motor plate.-img_8463.jpegThe motor plate in place with two M10 socket head cap screws locating the plate to chassis without the main locking bolts in place.

Hopefully with the explanation and the photos will clarify the winch motor safety arrangement so the plate can be removed safely with all the bolts removed.

Thank you for viewing

The Home Engineer
    Download plans for trailers and towing tools.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Saltfever (Aug 7, 2024)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,868 Times in 1,667 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Underslung Motor Plate to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Download plans for trailers and towing tools.

Thread Information