Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Movie on the making of Ford Model-T wheels- lots of ancient machining and machines

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Movie on the making of Ford Model-T wheels- lots of ancient machining and machines

I liked this so thought I'd share it.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tlnixon For This Useful Post:

bob_3000 (Jul 23, 2024), BuffaloJohn (Jul 21, 2024), Floradawg (Jul 28, 2024), Hoosiersmoker (Jul 23, 2024), nova_robotics (Jul 27, 2024), odd one (Jul 28, 2024), rlm98253 (Jul 28, 2024), that_other_guy (Aug 1, 2024)

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    After watching that I don't understand why they didn't just make them from steel. I can't imagine it being more difficult or time consuming.

2,000+ Tool Plans
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,024 Times in 4,319 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Floradawg View Post
    After watching that I don't understand why they didn't just make them from steel. I can't imagine it being more difficult or time consuming.
    There were a few reasons. the automotive industry was still in its infancy for one. There were numerous wainwrights (wagon makers) who also were wheelwrights (makers of wheels) who had only recently begun incorporating steel hubs with bearings in their wagons or carts made by Cartwrights. adding inflatable rubber tires to bicycles had been around since the mid 1800s, invented by William Thompson. It wasn't until 1026/27 that ford started making welded steel spoke wheels for his model T moving away from the wood artillery wheel about this time other manufactures were converting to steel spoke wheels probably made by the Dayton wheel company. which began making automotive style wheels in 1916 . Chevrolet went to the stamped steel riveted center artillery wheels for a couple years around 1936

2,000+ Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Floradawg (Jul 29, 2024)

Thread Information