Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Molding concrete pipe sections - GIF

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,790 Times in 718 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToolTalkBot For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jul 19, 2024), Ralphxyz (Jul 19, 2024), that_other_guy (Jul 21, 2024)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 653 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    How do they twist the ram on that hydraulic cylinder? Is the base twisting and the ram is just free-wheeling? From the video it looks like the ram is actually applying the torque to twist that cap. I have questions.

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    How do they twist the ram on that hydraulic cylinder? Is the base twisting and the ram is just free-wheeling? From the video it looks like the ram is actually applying the torque to twist that cap. I have questions.
    Hydraulic motor connected above the video window that is connected to the cylinder.

The base is probably twisting, but that is to finish the outside and inside of the pipe.

The ram is twisting so the interface flange is made and finished as well...

Pretty interesting process, probably sped up a little but not hugely, nice through put in making pipe...

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 653 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloJohn View Post
    Hydraulic motor connected above the video window that is connected to the cylinder.

The base is probably twisting, but that is to finish the outside and inside of the pipe.

The ram is twisting so the interface flange is made and finished as well...

Pretty interesting process, probably sped up a little but not hugely, nice through put in making pipe...
    But you can see in the video that the cylinder is not twisting. And even if it was, a piston rod is free to spin inside a hydraulic cylinder. So you can spin a base or mount all day long and it won't spin the piston rod. I'm not even sure how you would construct a hydraulic cylinder such that it could apply any appreciable torque to the piston rod. They have to be able to spin inside the bore of the cylinder.

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    But you can see in the video that the cylinder is not twisting. And even if it was, a piston rod is free to spin inside a hydraulic cylinder. So you can spin a base or mount all day long and it won't spin the piston rod. I'm not even sure how you would construct a hydraulic cylinder such that it could apply any appreciable torque to the piston rod. They have to be able to spin inside the bore of the cylinder.
    The cylinder has a piston and the piston is twisting, I didn't write it well enough, sorry.

Imagine a hydralic cylinder that has the piston sticking out both ends of the cylinder. If the piston extends through a gland on the non-visible side, it can be twisted. The piston is held in place by the glands on either end and the piston that slides inside the cylinder. The cylinder itself doesn't need to spin, and if it did, it wouldn't spin the load. That is why you need to spin just the piston shaft. And, you could apply a decent torque to the shaft to spin it.

It is a specialty application, but with proper design on both ends, it would work like this.

Is there another way to do it? Perhaps. You might, but I don't see any other bits to rotate the lowered head assembly. My explaination is fairly simple and would work.

There is a cut in the video (around the 4-5 second mark), you can see the stack of rings in the loader have a "jump". But that does not effect the simple explaination as far as I can tell...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BuffaloJohn For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jul 20, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,005 Times in 4,310 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloJohn View Post
    The cylinder has a piston and the piston is twisting, I didn't write it well enough, sorry.

Imagine a hydralic cylinder that has the piston sticking out both ends of the cylinder. If the piston extends through a gland on the non-visible side, it can be twisted. The piston is held in place by the glands on either end and the piston that slides inside the cylinder. The cylinder itself doesn't need to spin, and if it did, it wouldn't spin the load. That is why you need to spin just the piston shaft. And, you could apply a decent torque to the shaft to spin it.

It is a specialty application, but with proper design on both ends, it would work like this.

Is there another way to do it? Perhaps. You might, but I don't see any other bits to rotate the lowered head assembly. My explaination is fairly simple and would work.

There is a cut in the video (around the 4-5 second mark), you can see the stack of rings in the loader have a "jump". But that does not effect the simple explaination as far as I can tell...
    To reudce wer on the piston and gland seals as well as the cylinder bore and the rod. the cylinder rod or piston shaft as it is sometimes called could be hollow with an internal shaft with thrust bearings attached to the mold head and the motor above.
    I used to make hollow rod hyrdaulic cylinders with the rod extending from both ends. sold thjem to a company that made specialty hydraulic drill presses my cylinders were used as the quills with their spindles inside

2,000+ Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

BuffaloJohn (Jul 21, 2024)

Thread Information