Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vernier scale carriage stop

Supporting Member LMMasterMariner's Avatar
    Thanks

LMMasterMariner's Tools
    Didn't watch the video due to very bad internet connection, but have seen this picture of final result. Impressive. It's on my to do list.
    LMMasterMariner

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

ChrisB257's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphxyz View Post
    I like to see a video of it being used. I am new to turning and wonder why one would need adjustable stop.

Thanks for posting.

Ralph
    Ralph - imagine for example, using a boring bar and wanting to control accurately the hole depth so that with each cut pass the carriage is stopped at the same place every time. Same could apply in essence if turning outer diameter to a critical stop point. I now have problems that prevent me managing shop work and not sure I can find an example video very easily I'm afraid, though try the following link --.

The original part 1 build video can be found on my simple web site - https://www.oldmansshop.com/vid-page...e-stop-pt1.php

Chris

2,000+ Tool Plans
    Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!
    The Old Man's Shop

Thanks
    Thanked 6,492 Times in 2,142 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    I'm not much of a safety Nazi but permit me to interject one observation...

If the carriage is being driven by the leadscrew or a separate feed rod, running the carriage into a locked down carriage stop can cause a lot of damage. When not in use loosen the screws on the stop so the carriage can push it along if accidentally fed into it under power.

If you have cause to fear such a collision you may even want to fit the stop with a buzzer activated by a microswitch whenever the carriage contacts the stop. Though, as with many safety devices, training yourself to be aware and careful may be a better solution.
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 17, 2024 at 11:34 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Experience is always far worse than pessimism

Thanks

ChrisB257's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I'm not much of a safety Nazi but permit me to interject one observation...

If the carriage is being driven by the leadscrew or a separate feed rod, running the carriage into a locked down carriage stop can cause a lot of damage. When not in use loosen the screws on the stop so the carriage can push it along if accidentally fed into it under power.

If you have cause to fear such a collision you may even want to fit the stop with a buzzer activated by a microswitch whenever the carriage contacts the stop. Though, as with many safety devices, training yourself to be aware and careful may be a better solution.
    Marv - you are right of course but I never use the stop unless using manual feed! If desired to use it with leadscrew operation then a micro switch type of set up could well be useful, though I expect not infallible. Over the years I have done the bulk of my finer work manually feeding. Your other point - my block is secured firmly in use but not strongly enough to resist an accidental 'crash' if under power. It has served me well safely. Best, Chris
    Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!
    The Old Man's Shop

Thanks
    Thanked 6,492 Times in 2,142 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB257 View Post
    Marv - you are right of course but I never use the stop unless using manual feed! If desired to use it with leadscrew operation then a micro switch type of set up could well be useful, though I expect not infallible. Over the years I have done the bulk of my finer work manually feeding. Your other point - my block is secured firmly in use but not strongly enough to resist an accidental 'crash' if under power. It has served me well safely. Best, Chris
    Chris, the remark wasn't aimed at you. It was intended as a reminder for the less experienced folks who may see this thread.

FWIW, I keep my carriage stop locked up against the headstock and have yet to run into it accidentally. OTOH, I ran my swarf tray into the headstock often enough that I did build an alarm to warn me about that...

Lathe alarm

Fortunately the tray is thin sheet aluminum so the headstock was undamaged. I can't say the same for the tray.

2,000+ Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Experience is always far worse than pessimism

Thread Information