Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Keyed Wheel hubs for trailer mover.

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,160 Times in 420 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Keyed Wheel hubs for trailer mover.

Hi All

The wheels I purchased for my trailer mover build were new old stock. The steel rims had the paint flaking off in places so a good excuse to remove tires and repaint rims.

I decided to fabricate the hubs from some old 10mm plate bought from a scrap yard and some 45mm bar. The plates were pressure turned to diameter and the bored and screw cut. The 45mm bar was then turned to suit the plate bored and the keyway broached. A decent chamfer was cut on both parts for weld prep. So the weld could be machined back. Threaded and welded I am confident this will be very strong joint considering the weight I am hoping to move.

The bolt holes are on a 4” PCD

Once finished a coat of paint.

The wheel bolts were commercially purchased at a pound each and plated. So not worth considering making at that price.

Photos below show build.
    Keyed Wheel hubs for trailer mover.-img_8419.jpeg 10mm plate

Keyed Wheel hubs for trailer mover.-img_8408.jpeg Two parts ready for welding

Keyed Wheel hubs for trailer mover.-img_8409.jpeg Weld ready for finishing turning.

Keyed Wheel hubs for trailer mover.-img_8410.jpegReady for drilling.

Keyed Wheel hubs for trailer mover.-img_8414.jpeg Keyed Wheel hubs for trailer mover.-img_8415.jpeg M12 standard nuts welded to hub.

Keyed Wheel hubs for trailer mover.-img_8421.jpeg Keyed Wheel hubs for trailer mover.-img_8420.jpeg Hubs fitted to newly painted wheels.

The driveshaft will be 1” diameter and the hubs keyed to the shaft with 1/4” key. The hub is drilled with two M8 holes to lock hub in place along shaft with grub screws.

Thank you for viewing

The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,664 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Trailer Mover Hubs to our Trailers and Towing category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    I need to build one and thinking of adding an electric motor. I hope to see a picture of yours assembled. Thanks.

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thread Information