User Tag List

Thread: Increased capacity for homemade Claw Camps

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,160 Times in 420 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Increased capacity for homemade Claw Camps

Hi All
    I was very lucky to find a Bosch extrusion frame during a skip dive. Ask if I could repurpose the frame and was told just take it. (Didn’t need to be told twice ) I knew straight away what I was going to do with the aluminium and fittings. Increase the clamping capacity of my homemade claw clamps. The frame was stripped down to component parts, and some of the extrusion cut to the required lengths needed. Some drilling of the extrusion and modification to some standard M6 Bosch tee nuts to suit the claw clamps and we were in business.

The photos below show the blocks and fittings and the blocks being used.

Increased capacity for homemade Claw Camps-img_8425.jpegBase block: 50x50mm extrusion drilled to accept a homemade standard tee nut (drilled and tapped M8) to fit machine tables.

Increased capacity for homemade Claw Camps-img_8424.jpeg Block bolted to drill table ready to accept claw clamp.

Increased capacity for homemade Claw Camps-img_8431.jpeg Increased capacity for homemade Claw Camps-img_8433.jpeg Increased capacity for homemade Claw Camps-img_8432.jpeg Modified Bosch M6 tee nut to M12 stud to fit claw clamp.

Increased capacity for homemade Claw Camps-img_8434.jpeg Modified tee nut in place.

Increased capacity for homemade Claw Camps-img_8423.jpeg Increased capacity for homemade Claw Camps-img_8422.jpeg Claw clamp raised 50mm.

Increased capacity for homemade Claw Camps-img_8428.jpeg Additional extrusion can be clamped together to increase height with standard Bosch fittings and
    drilling extrusion to accept the fittings.

Increased capacity for homemade Claw Camps-img_8436.jpeg Increased capacity for homemade Claw Camps-img_8437.jpeg Increased capacity for homemade Claw Camps-img_8438.jpeg Clamp system to join extrusion.

Increased capacity for homemade Claw Camps-img_8435.jpeg Increased by clamping three blocks together to 150mm.

I also have some double extrusion 50x100 which has been modified. So the height is limitless.

Thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer.

If interest in the clamps, the drawings are for sale on HMT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Increased capacity for homemade Claw Camps-img_8426.jpeg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by thehomeengineer; Jul 12, 2024 at 04:02 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

emu roo (Jul 13, 2024), that_other_guy (Jul 17, 2024)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,663 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Claw Clamp Modification to our Clamps category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    It's good stuff that extrusion, I've been making things from it for 30+ years for my employers, both directly and designing for off-site assemblers to build, and from off-cuts that were being binned for myself. One of my fellow engineers used a scrap length of the 4" x 4" to suspend the engine and gear box at a low height so he could wheel the chassis of his frog eye sprite under it in his garage.

2,000+ Tool Plans

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NeiljohnUK For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Jul 15, 2024)

Thread Information