Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Sanding a textured ceiling - GIF

Supporting Member
    Thanks

2,000+ Tool Plans

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ToolTalkBot For This Useful Post:

Hoosiersmoker (Jun 26, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,898 Times in 4,259 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    My house has those popcorn ceilings and I hate them. That rig looks like it collects most of the dust.

2,000+ Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    I worked for the company that built the machines that sprayed the acoustic ceiling and wall texture. My uncle started the company and it is the largest manufacturer of that equipment in the world. My cousin runs it now...
    Sanding a textured ceiling - GIF-sprayforce.jpg
    My uncle, my cousin and Turner with one of the spray rigs...

Thanks
    I don't like them either Frank but it's easier to leave them than deal with them. Did remove them in one house I had 20+ years ago, ran the hose indoors, sprayed with water until soft then scraped with a putty knife into a 5 gallon pail. If we end up staying in this house for a while I may putter away and do a room every so often providing they don't have asbestos.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,898 Times in 4,259 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wood_1 View Post
    I don't like them either Frank but it's easier to leave them than deal with them. Did remove them in one house I had 20+ years ago, ran the hose indoors, sprayed with water until soft then scraped with a putty knife into a 5 gallon pail. If we end up staying in this house for a while I may putter away and do a room every so often providing they don't have asbestos.
    I'm thinking I might cover them with another thin layer of drywall or install decorative metal tiles The house was built ion 1970. Whoever sprayed the ceilings did a good job because still that is no cracking or sluffing of the texture, but they could have at least done without the gold glitter.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Definitely have to make sure it's not asbestos. Popcorn ceilings are the worst. One of our houses my wife asked me to put sparkles on the ceiling. Bought all the sparkles and the spray bottle. Painted a section then sprayed the crystals on. Repeated the process for the whole living room and dining room ceilings. When I went to wash I found out the sparkles were actually thin flakes of glass! I found out when I was rinsing my forearms. I brushed one arm with my hand and got a thousand little micro-cuts on my hand and arm. We did without sparkles from then on!
    "This country was founded by a bunch of slave owners that told us all men are created equal..." - George Carlin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,561 Times in 467 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    In the UK this was known as ARTEX a cheap solution to avoid plastering being applied strait onto plaster board, and in the 80s it did contain asbestos.
    I have plastered over this in the past but it needs the correct technique.
    Scrape of the worst of the rough nips (messy) and apply a thinned coat of PVA, when dry apply a second thicker coat and start plastering when it is still tacky.
    I have never had a failure following the ones I have done. ( I did have a decorating business at the time).

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thread Information