186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Jim

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jimfols For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Apr 24, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 660 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    I don't own an electric car, however if I did I would be somewhat worried about parking it in my garage. I believe that it's highly unlikely to purchase a vehicle with a battery defect similar to what caused the fire in the video. That said, the battery cells and electronics are going to age. I keep my vehicles for a long time. How volatile are these systems going to be in 15 years?

2,000+ Tool Plans

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    I don't own an electric car, however if I did I would be somewhat worried about parking it in my garage. I believe that it's highly unlikely to purchase a vehicle with a battery defect similar to what caused the fire in the video. That said, the battery cells and electronics are going to age. I keep my vehicles for a long time. How volatile are these systems going to be in 15 years?
    Note Ford had issues with their battery supplier earlier this year over defects.

Not that volatile.

Nissan Leaf's have been sold for 13 years, and they don't seem to be undergoing a rash of fires. The oldest Teslas are that age as well. Priuses, too.My brother-in-law actually ended up buying a new Toyota hybrid (a Rav4) when his old Prius got to the point of needed a new battery pack, which is an expensive proposition.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 660 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce.desertrat View Post
    Note Ford had issues with their battery supplier earlier this year over defects.

Not that volatile.

Nissan Leaf's have been sold for 13 years, and they don't seem to be undergoing a rash of fires. The oldest Teslas are that age as well. Priuses, too.My brother-in-law actually ended up buying a new Toyota hybrid (a Rav4) when his old Prius got to the point of needed a new battery pack, which is an expensive proposition.
    I'll agree with you about the Toyotas, but Tesla does have a slight self-immolation issue. Priuses (at least the NiMH ones) are absolutely bulletproof. 200,000 miles is just broken in. I'm not sure that any Nissan Leafs have survived to the 13 year mark. A) They're a Nissan product, and b) they don't have thermal management in their batteries and the cells have a habit of committing suicide.

Thanks
    Who would've thought there would be a market for a home battery vault?

Who will be the first to build one of these to park your car in?

https://www.bat-safe.com/product-page/bat-safe
    Jim

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    I love the statement: "swiftly implemented quality actions" I would think corrective and preventive actions would be in order! Nothing runs like a Deer and nothing burns like a Ford!

2,000+ Tool Plans
    "This country was founded by a bunch of slave owners that told us all men are created equal..." - George Carlin

Thread Information