Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Securing a barge with a cleat hitch - GIF

Thanks
    Thanked 30,233 Times in 9,995 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Inner (May 20, 2023), nova_robotics (May 20, 2023), Ralphxyz (May 21, 2023), Rangi (May 21, 2023), rdarrylb (May 21, 2023), rlm98253 (May 20, 2023), that_other_guy (May 24, 2023), Toolmaker51 (May 24, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,506 Times in 2,143 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Is it possible that the design of cleats evolved from the fact that that shape makes possible exactly what he's doing?

I can remember my first time assisting in the docking of my uncle-in-law's sailboat. I looked at the cleat and did what he's doing, whipping the line and catching it alternately on the horns of the cleat. It seemed so obvious to me that I was sure it had been designed to be used that way.

2,000+ Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Experience is always far worse than pessimism

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Altair (May 21, 2023), mwmkravchenko (May 20, 2023), rlm98253 (May 20, 2023), Toolmaker51 (May 24, 2023)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Is it possible that the design of cleats evolved from the fact that that shape makes possible exactly what he's doing?

I can remember my first time assisting in the docking of my uncle-in-law's sailboat. I looked at the cleat and did what he's doing, whipping the line and catching it alternately on the horns of the cleat. It seemed so obvious to me that I was sure it had been designed to be used that way.
    Bingo!

Mark

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 846 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    That is indeed the correct way to use a cleat. If he was really good he would have tossed that last loop to form a cleat hitch. But we do not know how long that tie off will be necessary. We can assume he knew what he was doing so the final securing loop was not necessary

Securing a barge with a cleat hitch - GIF-screen-shot-2023-05-20-8.00.55-pm.png

It is amazing to me how many people with big, high dollar, boats and yachts have no clue how to properly secure a line to a cleat. The way many do it makes it near impossible to untie while the line is under load.

Some designs, especially those that allow a loop of the line to be passed under the cross bar. People tend to slide a loop under the bar, the pass that loop over the cross bar. This does indeed secure the line, but is also impossible to release under pressure.

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-05-20 at 7.52.03 PM.png
Views: 1086
Size:  46.7 KB

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Altair (May 21, 2023), Inner (May 20, 2023), Jon (May 22, 2023)

Supporting Member Fluffle-Valve's Avatar
    Thanks
    He's done that before, ain't he?
    I never knew why the cleats were that shape. Now I do.
    I have a 1972 Land Rover Series III Truck Cab/Pick-Up and a 1962 Land Rover Series 2a Carawagon Camper.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Notice the tips are smaller. Allows for more space for the line to slide between the deck and tip. Also, when using the cleat hitch, loosening the know becomes easier.

I learned securing a 50 ft racing sailboat. One complete figure 8 like the video shows, and then a cleat hitch. If the hitch does not lay flat, you twisted the wrong way. This method uses the friction to hold the tension while using the hitch to ensure it is secure and won't drift loose. Even just 1 hitch is enough to secure the boat. A second hitch is just to make others happy. If the second hitch was a requirement, your line and cleat are too small.

The last 2 loops in the video are just to use the weight of the line to hold the rest in place. As mentioned above, a hitch would not have required the last 2 loops but for temporary holding, this is fine.

Yes, I have seen even big sailboat not tied properly.

2,000+ Tool Plans

10. The Following User Says Thank You to joeljensen For This Useful Post:

Jon (May 22, 2023)

Thread Information