User Tag List

Thread: Screw cutting short thread

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,175 Times in 423 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Screw cutting short thread

Hi All
    I recently picked up a bargain off eBay. An ex demonstration ProSet XT3 pneumatic Rivet tool for £50. Unfortunately it only had one nose piece for 6mm diameter pop rivets. Before making the purchase i researched the cost of the spares. So not a problem I thought just buy the spares at £3.50 each plus postage.

Contacted three or four Stanley agents for price even one in America and no reply. So was a bit disappointed. But never mind I thought I will make them. To my surprise there was a link to the dimensions I needed to make the nose pieces for an XT3.

The thread was measured and found to be a UNF 3/8 x 24 TPI. So the gear train was setup and the nose pieces made.

To cut the thread I used the manual screw cutting method I shared a while back. Link to original post:
    Screw cutting by hand

As the thread only had a narrow undercut for the tool to drop into, using the crank handle gives plenty of control when stopping in such a small undercut.

The photos below show the setup:

Screw cutting short thread-crank-handle-2.jpg Screw cutting short thread-crank-handle.jpg Crank handle located in headstock spindle bore.

Screw cutting short thread-screw-cutting.jpgScrew cutting up to a shoulder into a narrow undercut. This is very easy and controlled without having the machine under power.

Screw cutting short thread-tools.jpg Tools used to make component

Screw cutting short thread-drawing.jpg Screw cutting short thread-completed-nose-pieces.jpg Drawings printed off and all other dimension taken from original nose piece.

Screw cutting short thread-nose-collet.jpg Homemade nose piece

Screw cutting short thread-rivet-tool.jpg ProSet XT3 can set 4mm (5/32") to 6.4mm (1/4") rivets

Thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Dollar Bill (Jul 12, 2023), hemmjo (Jul 12, 2023), Jon (Aug 2, 2023), piper184 (Jul 12, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 846 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Very nice presentation. Amazing how much more effective a few good photos and some well written text can explain a concept better than a hokey video!!

2,000+ Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Jul 12, 2023)

Thread Information