User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ring cutter - GIF

Thanks
    Thanked 30,233 Times in 9,995 Posts

Ring cutter - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Dec 28, 2022), odd one (Dec 31, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,027 Times in 4,321 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    If you don't wear a ring you never have to have one cut off.

2,000+ Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 655 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    I know a guy who was trying to boost the dead battery on his Jeep. He got his ring between the jumper cable and the battery post. Thing turned red hot when it made contact. Now he has a permanent ring branding on his baby finger.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 846 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    One Monday morning a colleague came to me a with a young student had a very swollen, discolored finger. Since I was the shop teacher she asked if I had something to cut the ring of this girls finger. There was no way I was going to attempt to get cut that ring, with the girl's finger so swollen around it. All I could suggest was go to the fire department to see if they had a ring cutter. She they hopped in a car and headed for the fire station. It had been on there for two days.

Sometimes you just have to have the correct tool.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    If you don't wear a ring you never have to have one cut off.
    I last saw my wedding ring over 20 years ago. Didn't wear it all that much, as when I was a young guy, had a supervisor with a permanent ring. He'd gotten partially degloved when his caught on the edge of a 2-1/2 ton military truck. Doc was able to stitch it back in place, and it healed, but left him a Frankenstein scar around the ring finger. For once in my life I learned from someone else's mistake. I have welded a couple of screwdrivers to battery cables, though.

One problem with those cutters is that they only work on soft metals, and folks are making rings of stainless steel, titanium, and tungsten these days. I've got a wedding band of SS that I found working in the industrial laundry years ago. I keep it, but don't wear it... Don't wear a wrist watch, anymore, either. Knew a guy...
    Last edited by WmRMeyers; Dec 29, 2022 at 04:40 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,027 Times in 4,321 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    At the start of each new class, I would set up my slide projector and load a cassette of do's and don'ts. I had the cassette loaded with as many gory slides as possible. After watching the slides of wristwatches being caught on things welding globs going inside of the gloves and turning them into branding irons, rings being mashed out of shape or getting welded, getting hung and degloving a finger, you get the picture. This one slow kid asked me does this mean we should be careful of our rings and watches while working?
    NO, it means that today is the last time I want to see rings watches, dangling earrings or long necklaces in this class either here in the classroom or in the shop area, this is not a class of vanity, and you have no need-to-know what time it is there is a buzzer that will let you know when class is almost over.
    Well can't we just put tape over our rings?
    Sure you can, then I laid a pair of huge bolt cutters on my desk. Just how delicate do you think I can be with these if I have to remove your ring when something happens, because these might be the only cutting tool I can find in a hurry?
    Slow kid didn't show up for class again.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

baja's Tools
    I wore my wedding ring for the day of my wedding and told my wife I won`t wear it anymore. "Okay"

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Similar to the technique I was taught in my family medicine rotation:

It does work, indeed. And here's another: https://www.google.com/search?q=ribb...0PEPyf6bsA0_28

A man contracted a fungal disease in his privates while in SE Asia. Filled with dread, he went to the doctor there and asked if surgery was needed. The doctor said, "All Americans want to do is cut, cut, cut. Don't worry, 2-3 days, it'll fall off by itself.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to neilbourjaily For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Dec 29, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Infrequently, we have to remove rings for surgery. If going on the bypass machine, you get generalized swelling. If the ring is already too tight to remove, we sometimes need to use a ring cutter. But we had one nurse who remove just about any ring with the a suture (stitch) wrapped tightly around the finger like shown in the video. The hardest part was getting it over the elderly person’s arthritic knuckle which is not compressible

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 351 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    I do not want to remove my wedding ring, which is now roughly triangular in shape, deeply embedded and wearing thin. And yes, I acknowledge the risk of wearing one. It would not, I think, pass the swollen knuckle, so an accident would tear off most of the finger, not just strip the flesh.
    Last edited by Philip Davies; Jan 1, 2023 at 10:21 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Jan 1, 2023)

Thread Information