Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Precision Setup Blocks

Thanks

hersch_tool's Tools

Precision Setup Blocks

Hi all,
    I recently made a matched pair of precision setup blocks for my horizontal milling machine.
    I made these blocks because a "Kurt" style vise isn't always the best style of work holding option when you're working on a horizontal spindle.
    That style of vise assumes that the primary direction from which you'll be accessing the work is from above, and it works great for that.
    But, when you're wanting to come at the work from the horizontal direction you'll find that you often can't reach the work with the tool.
    So, I made these blocks to help provide a quick way to square up and clamp down the work while leaving the side facing the horizontal spindle completely accessible for the cutting tool.
    Once these are locked down to the table, you should be able to take work in and out of them quickly while keeping it nice and square to the spindle.
    Video linked below!

2,000+ Tool Plans

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hersch_tool For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jun 11, 2024), Ralphxyz (Jun 12, 2024), thadrodgers (Jun 11, 2024)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,861 Times in 1,661 Posts

Thanks hersch_tool! We've added your Precision Setup Blocks to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: hersch_tool's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thread Information