Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: New Old Timer

Thanks

New Old Timer

Been messing around with home shop metalworking machinery since buying a 9" Logan lathe from a neighbor who was moving to a retirement home about 70 years ago. Dad was an excellent woodworker but I preferred the predictability of metal. (Plus, I've had an aversion to woodworking tools since nipping the tip of my left index finger off at a very early age while a buddy and I were playing with my dad's jointer.)

I've cobbled together many home brew tools over the decades but can't remember them right now. Possibly the next one will be interesting enough to post.

Mostly retired from a career in acoustical (noise and vibration) engineering, but still take on interesting small jobs. Built numerous electronic and mechanical devices as needed for jobs, like a very early FM modulator using a tunnel diode for recording low frequency vibration data on a tape recorder (before such portable recorders were commercially available), a ground pounder driving a 20 pound weight powered by two vacuum cleaner motors (for measuring vibration propagation properties of soils), and most recently a device for measuring the straightness of railroad rails over a couple of hundred feet using a laser.

Hobby has gotten out of hand. Now have three lathes, three milling machines, two tool grinders, five bench and pedestal grinders, two bandsaws, a glass saw, a ten foot section of railroad rail in the side yard, and an awful lot of junk. It's been fun and the fun continues.

Living in the San Francisco Bay Area.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Sounds like you've got enough tools to get the job done, or even open a trade school!

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thanks
    Hi awright,

Welcome!

What an interesting career you've had! Quite a shop, there, too. Glad to hear that you're still having fun with it.

What are you planning to build next?

Ken

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,847 Times in 11,645 Posts
    Welcome to HomemadeTools.net awright

Lots of engineers on board, but I believe you're our first one with acoustical engineering experience. We do have some luthiers who will probably find your experience very useful. Nice to have you on board

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,870 Times in 1,668 Posts
    Hello awright, welcome and glad to have you on the forum!

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thread Information