Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Longest passenger train in the world - GIF

Thanks
    Thanked 30,233 Times in 9,995 Posts

Longest passenger train in the world - GIF

Swiss train measuring 1.9km (1.2 miles) long.

Previously:

Train passes underneath itself - GIF
    Ore bucket train - GIF
    Desert railway - photo
    Train exiting the Tehachapi Loop - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

rlm98253 (Dec 19, 2022)

Supporting Member schuylergrace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Yeah, that's all well and good until some ne'er-do-well youngun puts a penny on the track and derails the whole thing!

2,000+ Tool Plans

For topical application, only. Not to be taken internally or used in com-
    bination with other drugs or alcohol, except as directed by your shaman.
    Do not operate heavy equipment, unless you actually know how to.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,027 Times in 4,321 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by schuylergrace View Post
    Yeah, that's all well and good until some ne'er-do-well youngun puts a penny on the track and derails the whole thing!
    Us kids used to put penny's dimes nickels quarters and once even a half dollar, on the tracks of the Rock Island freight train as it came through town, all we ever got for our troubles was a lot of flattened coins
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Bony's Tools
    So I wonder how long the platform is, a bus may be needed to get passengers to their carriage! When is too long too long?

Thanks
    Except for the very front, it appears that there's two traction engines (nose to nose), for every three passenger carriages. Except to set a record, it seems it would be prudent to assemble four or five smaller (and more manageable trains), than this amazing behemoth!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,027 Times in 4,321 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by basil3w View Post
    Except for the very front, it appears that there's two traction engines (nose to nose), for every three passenger carriages. Except to set a record, it seems it would be prudent to assemble four or five smaller (and more manageable trains), than this amazing behemoth!
    Th several traction engines just may be the key here. Look closely and note the lead engine would appear to be 3rd rail design then the engine at the end of the first string has the overhead power skis. follow each string and this combination is repeated throughout the length of the train.
    It looks to me the reason for it having so many separate coupled trains coupled together is all of the trains service several routes in 2 different cities then couple to transfer between those cities, this way as it enters the next city each train splits off on it's respective route. The main reason for the extended coupling length would be twofold #1 conservation of energy as it would probably not require very many traction engines to be pulling at the same time #2 having all of the individual trains coupled they don't have to maintain the few minutes time separation between trains while at speed There could be another reason particularly if the travel while coupled is quite long. 1 long train only requires a single crew where as several short commuter trains would require a crew or at the very least the engineer for each train so the crews for either city would most likely be local to their city. Here in the USA it is common practice to couple more than a single freight train for long journeys to save on having to send a crew on each train.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    I counted 7 or 8 short trains before the camera panned to the right. I have to agree with Frank that for one reason or another all of the trains were returning to the same location or sections of the trains would be left at locations along the way. I do know one thing. It didn’t appear that it was moving very fast and I would HATE to be sitting a a crossing waiting for it to pass. Especially if I needed to get to the bathroom. �� LOL. It was still a pretty cool video though.

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thread Information