Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Lada tank - photo

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

DIYSwede (Jul 19, 2020), jdurand (Jul 19, 2020), nova_robotics (Jul 20, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 655 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Hey there fellas...

I don't think this is one of the Garage54 creations, but it certainly looks like one.

2,000+ Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Oct 13, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Lada tank? Ladas ARE tanks

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    We'll be buying a 2020 or 2021 model Lada 4x4 5 door when we get there, just need to get the border open to people from the USA...

Our lawyer is trying to get us listed as returning residents, pointing out that we've been there before and we do own a home that has an occupancy certificate. She's good but I don't know if that story will fly...

Lada tank - photo-1488371531_lada_4x4_5d_097.jpg

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Maybe the Lada's you get your side of the puddle are better that those that have frequented Australia, 'cause you'd have to have rocks in your head to buy one here. A friend of mine had one and the only way he could keep it going was to throw out the Russian ignition system and replace it with something local.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    My wife had a Triumph when I met her, Lucus electrical systems are the king of the dark. The only car I ever had to replace the entire wire harness on.

Also the only car where you had to keep the carburetor tanks filled with oil.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    My wife had a Triumph when I met her, Lucus electrical systems are the king of the dark. The only car I ever had to replace the entire wire harness on.

Also the only car where you had to keep the carburetor tanks filled with oil.
    Being from England and originally a motor mechanic, I have had, and worked on, many many Triumphs. While it is sadly recognized that Lucas systems on motorbikes is less that optimal I have NEVER seen a problem CAUSED by Lucas equipment on cars. You don't say how old the Triumph was, and if it was pre-alternator, then yes, the old dynamo's did have their problems, but the likes of Delco-Reme were no better. It was the inherent design, not the manufacturer that was the problem. Car manufacturers used this equipment because there was nothing better at the time.This seems to not be the issue with Lada (discounting the that they are Russian and that may be the "Lucas" problem), the difference, as far as I can see is one of quality control, and although communism may not still be the political system in Russia, I have seen first hand the attitude that that system generated, still prevalent in some Russians (it's a government business,...chuck it together).
    With respect to "the carburettor had to be filled with oil", that was a design consideration of SU carburettors and was there to produce an acceleration pump action. Many manufacturers fitted SU's because they were very efficient carb's, the likes of Jagua,r Bentley, Rolls, and a plethora of BMC vehicles.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    It was a TR-4A.

Russian machines from the Soviet era are not the same as ones built in 2020. Believe it or not they've been advancing manufacturing ability.

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thread Information