Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: John in San antonio

Thanks

John in San antonio

Howdy everyone, I'm john, live in San Antonio. Into cars and guns, just found this site and I like some of what I've seen. I've mostly made small tools for car bits and gun parts. I just got a steal on 2 "universal sharpener\grinders" the ones that can sharpen end mills and such, if anyone knows how they work a quick tutorial would be appreciated. The only videos that show anything on YouTube are in Mandarin, if I just knew what they were saying...

I'm an avid do it yourselfer. Taught myself to weld restoring a 73 challenger, taught myself basics of lathes and mills building better mousetraps on guns. Figure with welders, torches, a mill and a lathe you can build anything. So I'm working on all related skills. Just recently started tig welding, wow, why didn't I start that earlier?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,847 Times in 11,645 Posts
    Hi John - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Cars and guns, yup, you'll fit in well here

Sounds like you have your hands full. Any interesting projects next on your build list?

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thanks
    Nothing too fun. I'm at a testing phase of a lightweight AR piston retrofit, but a move and lack of good testing areas is taking its toll. I need to built a fan shroud for the car, last attempt failed spectacularly as I had never tig welded aluminum and I was dumb enough to start with 22ga.2 series. Just had a son 2 weeks ago, so I want to start building his first 22, I know its early but with other crap it could take years. Lastly I'm building another motor and I want to make a super girdle of sorts, but I must learn to cast aluminum first...

Thanks
    Hi John,

Welcome!

You know we're going to need pics of the Challenger, right? Also, the AR piston project.

What sort of power are you planning to use the girdle to contain and on what kind of block?

Lots of car and gun guys hereabouts are looking forward to the details…

Ken

Thanks
    Sure thing. The piston AR is a 7075 block and plug, using a 17-4 stainless piston and cylinder, and a FAL style gas adjuster. Nothing to look at really, it still has excess material for safety during initial testing, just haven't been able to test yet. Turns out most ranges in San Antonio don't want you testing experimental gun parts on their ranges, go figure right.

The challenger is a 73, its packing a little over 600hp from a 393 cu in small block that still looks era correct. Truth is the only stock parts ar e the oil pan and timing cover, everything else is "touched". It's my baby, and I built it. I had some help from the trans shop, but I did it, they just made sure I didn't do it wrong. Quarters, rockers, frame repair, paint, motor, electrical...all me, so when I have issues I know who to blame.

The girdle is going in a 72 340 block I found. I want to turn the challenger up, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the original 318 matching block. Ya, its a 318 car, but some day someone may want it stock. I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to build yet, or if it will be boosted via a centrifugal supercharger or twin turbos, I just know it will be boosted with efi. Yes I know a regular girdle works, I have one in the car now, but Im thinking an aluminum one that ties the mains together and into the pan rails could be better. Besides, I want to learn to cast metal, i have tons of aluminum sitting around, and I want to know if I can do it.John in San antonio-20150317_185732.jpg

Thanks
    Honestly, I'd probably find a nice outdoor rifle range and go early on a weekday morning when nobody is around. No need to say anything to anyone about your experimental parts.

The Challenger looks great. The satisfaction that comes from having done the work oneself is huge. Seems like just yesterday I'd see an American muscle car being worked on in every other driveway. Of course, we didn't know they were classics then - which sort of makes me wonder what automotive investment opportunities are passing me by right now…

Aluminum casting is definitely do-able at home. Have you checked out our Forging and Casting category for ideas?

Ken

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,870 Times in 1,668 Posts
    Nice-looking car, 73Chally. And yes, nothing like having done most of the stuff yourself. One can say that you really know your car inside out. Welcome to the forums!

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thread Information