Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Hello from Southern California

Thanks

Hello from Southern California

Hi to my fellow homemade toolers,

Although I've been doing the home machine shop stuff for 5+ years, I had never run across this forum until last week, when I was looking for ideas on a mill vise work stop. What a great bunch of potential projects you have here. I look forward being a rather frequent visitor and will contribute as the opportunities arise.

I'm originally from northern NJ, then Texas, Alabama, and now San Diego area. Other than metal shop in HS, and some summer college jobs, I never did any machine shop work.

My working career was spent in various computer hardware jobs: First, as a Fire Control Tech in the Navy, FTG1(SS), then several years as a Field Engineer, installing and repairing computers and related peripherals, mainly for the financial industry. This was a lot of hands-on-machinery work. Then I switched from hardware to software. For 23 years, I engineered systems for computerized mapping and geographic information/ geospatial intelligence systems. Interesting projects for a variety of customers/industries/locations, both US and foreign, but I did miss working with my hands on physical objects (other than a keyboard) and actually seeing tangible progress on daily basis.
    Then around 2009, a visit to the nearby Museum of Craftsmanship inspired me to get reacquainted with metal work and machining. Since then, I've scratch built a Webster engine, restored a Logan 10" lathe, and made many small parts, tools, etc in support of my efforts. It's cool how you can use your tools to make tools and parts to fix themselves! (or to extend their capabilities.)

Currently, my big project is a scratch-built, 1:8 scale model of the French 75 mm Cannon of 1897. I started it 6 mo ago and hope to have it finished by the 100th anniversary of America's first shots of WW I (23 Oct 1917), fired by such a gun in my grandfather's field artillery battery. [Yes, the US Army used French-made cannons, the French 75 was the state-of-the-art.] If interested, see my build journal on Hobby-Machinist.com, titled "Greg's French 75 Mm Field Artillery Model." (I also occasionally discuss it on my Facebook page and the Landships II forum.)

Greg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,847 Times in 11,645 Posts
    Hi Greg - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Sounds like you have your hands full! The French 75 build looks very challenging, especially with the limited documentation available.

What homemade tools are you interested in building?

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thanks
    Hi Greg,

Welcome - glad to have you here!

Fantastic stuff - the French 75 was a great field piece in its day and the drink of the same name is still tasty!

What component are you currently building?

Ken

Thanks
    Jon and Ken, thanks for the welcome.
    On the cannon, I'm currently working on the wooden wheels and their metal fittings. Specifically, right now on the 28 wooden spokes and the 28 steel spoke shoes that will connect the spokes to the "fellows".
    Yes, it is a very challenging project in almost every aspect. Jon, I'm guessing that you looked at my project log on Hobby-Machinist - not only is the machining a struggle, but first having to draft precisely-dimensioned engineering drawings based on 1) old French army drawings, 2) old US Army Tech Manuals, (neither of which actually have dimensions, and 3) my photos, sketches, and measurements of a French 75 at the Orange County Courthouse. And I've invariably had to readjust my designs somewhat to expedite the construction.
    Many of my likely tooling projects will be custom tools for the cannon project, for example working on the gun's wheel hubs, I had to make a pair of tapered reamers. I'll probably be making several custom pieces for drilling jigs and workholding as the project continues. Even if my tools are custom to my project, they certainly can serve as guidance for others to adapt as needes. When I get a chance, I'll look through my photos and submit them.
    Of a more general nature, I foresee needing to make a better lathe tool sharpening jig, and an arbor or flycutter for my first attempt at cutting gears (for the cannon). For each of these, I see several excellent examples already here on the forum.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,870 Times in 1,668 Posts
    Hi Greg, that's an interesting career you've had. Welcome to the forums!

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thread Information