Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: A Handy Tool To Get A Nut In A Small Space

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools

A Handy Tool To Get A Nut In A Small Space

I had a situation where I needed to put some nuts on some screws but I couldn't hold onto the nut in the small space. I tried a few times, but each time I failed...

So, I looked in the scrap metal barrel and found a thin wall conduit (probably from an old and really cheap canopy for camping). I then flattened the end a bit so the open end of a geared wrench would fit in. I wanted a geared wrench so that I could hold the nut, but also, they tend to be 0 degrees offset to the handle. Then I wrapped the end with electrical tape to hold it in place like so:

A Handy Tool To Get A Nut In A Small Space-longreachwrench_e.jpg A Handy Tool To Get A Nut In A Small Space-longreachwrench_a.jpg

Then I figured out which side was ON. I put a piece of painters tape on the non-ON side to hold onto the nut. Then I could reach into the small space, bump the end of the wrench into the screw that was waiting for the nut, shift the wrench just a little to get the nut over the screw and then tighten the screw.

A Handy Tool To Get A Nut In A Small Space-longreachwrench_c.jpg A Handy Tool To Get A Nut In A Small Space-longreachwrench_b.jpg

Of course I had one cross thread (tried to go too fast) and now it was useful to be able to flip the wrench over to the OFF side and get the nut off. Then new painters tape and a new nut and going just a little slower, on it went...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BuffaloJohn For This Useful Post:

Jon (Dec 27, 2023), nova_robotics (Jan 4, 2024), odd one (Dec 25, 2023), rgsparber (Dec 27, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,868 Times in 1,667 Posts

Thanks BuffaloJohn! We've added your Small Space Nut Tool to our Fastening category,
    as well as to your builder page: BuffaloJohn's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thread Information