Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Free from scraps: angle plate, milling slide and tool post grinder mount.

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools

Free from scraps: angle plate, milling slide and tool post grinder mount.

Found a box of discarded old BBC TV ighting clamps (pic right) heading for the metals dumpster at work,
    and using my X-ray vision I previsualized a free angle plate (left) hidden therein for my home shop mini lathe.
    An hour's butchering session taking all excess material off resulted in the following (apart from a bucket of swarf):

Free from scraps: angle plate, milling slide and tool post grinder mount.-bbc-clamp-angle-mount.jpg

As Providence would have it: When bolted to the cross slide the hole centre would line up with the chuck axis,
    and there's enuff metal to provide room for the same fastening plate as on the lathe's x-slide.
    Hence the compound can be mounted and tilted front or back, and the entire contraption can also be rotated.

Free from scraps: angle plate, milling slide and tool post grinder mount.-milling-slide.jpg Free from scraps: angle plate, milling slide and tool post grinder mount.-milling-slide-rear.jpg

(Left pic also shows a few add-ons: Bed oilers/ wipers out of extruded aluminum scraps & felt from an old printer,
    as well as a coupla gib lock nuts from discarded movie camera equipment from my immense waste bin.)

Being a universally-minded cheapskate, I also found it could serve as a good enuff mount for the Hilda,
    my Cheap Chinese 400W Honcho Dremel, and using some bits from an old mike boom dolly,
    (also destined for the recycling dumpster) I kludged this holder together,
    as well as a decided toolpost mount from a piece of cast iron counterweight:

Free from scraps: angle plate, milling slide and tool post grinder mount.-hilda-angle-tp-grinder.jpg Free from scraps: angle plate, milling slide and tool post grinder mount.-work-lathe.jpg

This gadget won't take deep cuts at fast feeds, but "Good enuff for my Mini Lathe!" And it's free - as most of my tools!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by DIYSwede; Jul 31, 2019 at 02:49 AM. Reason: added info

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

Altair (Jun 24, 2019), Crusty (Jun 23, 2019), David Johnson (Jun 25, 2019), Home-PC (Dec 1, 2020), Jon (Jun 23, 2019), markcawston (Jun 24, 2019), mbsilvia (Jun 26, 2019), olderdan (Jun 24, 2019), Seedtick (Jun 24, 2019), threesixesinarow (Jun 24, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jun 24, 2019), Tule (Jun 25, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 30,233 Times in 9,995 Posts

Thanks DIYSwede! We've added your Angle Plate to our Lathe Accessories category,
    as well as to your builder page: DIYSwede's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thanks

Thanks DIYSwede! We've added your Rotary Tool Milling Slide to our Tool Holders category,

Thanks

Thanks DIYSwede! We've added your Tool Post Grinder Mount to our Lathe Accessories category,

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Manitoba Man's Tools
    Hi Universally Minded. Great previsualizing and I enjoyed the write up.
    Bob from Canada

2,000+ Tool Plans

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Manitoba Man For This Useful Post:

DIYSwede (Jun 24, 2019)

Thread Information