Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Ford 860 throtte rod repair

Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 852 Posts

hemmjo's Tools

Ford 860 throtte rod repair

Getting the ole tractor back together. One of the ends on the throttle linkage was loose. I thought I would tighten it up. The ends are just crimped onto a rod. I just used a punch to try to tighten it up it up on the rod. That turned out to be a bad idea as the end split. You can see the split in figs 1 & 2. I am not sure what the material is, but I was sure surprised when it split.

After some thought I decided to make a collar to crimp around the broken part. Fig 2.

Ford 860 throtte rod repair-throttle-rod1.png

Fig 4 shows the rod, collar and end.

In fig 5 the rod is in the 3 jaw chuck, the collar is on the rod the end is on the rod. You can also see a center drilled rod in the tail stock ready to press things together.

In fig 6 the 3 jaw chuck is just snug on the rod so it can slide into the chuck as it bottoms in the end. With the collar pressed against the jaws, the end is forced into the collar. You can see a little JB weld oozing out as things are pressed together.

Fig 7 shows the assembly in the 4 jaw chuck, My plan was to use the chuck jaws to crimp the collar tighter around the part. The was NOT a good I idea as I was not able to squish the collar without applying more force than I felt comfortable with on the chuck wrench

Fig 8 shows a make shift swage block I made to squish the collar before the JB Weld started to set up. I used my 2 pound “ inertial press” and anvil to compress the collar around the part.

Fig 9 shows the rod with the completed repair.

Ford 860 throtte rod repair-throttle-rod-2.png

I could have purchased an new one for about $12, but shipping is $15 so I thought I would give it a try. Also considered using some 3/16 Heim ends to replace these snap on ends. Time will tell if this repair works. Worst case scenario it falls apart and I have to idle back to the barn.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

ductape (Aug 12, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    I work on a lot of old tractors and have done the punch thing that you described without any of them cracking like this. I don't envy your luck
    Your fix is pretty good and should last a long time.

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thread Information