Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Fixture for multiple parts & tandem milling example for superb finishes.

Thanks

Mook's Tools

Fixture for multiple parts & tandem milling example for superb finishes.

This video shows a multipart self compensating fixture that can hold pieces of different sizes. It also demonstrates how tandem milling with both the inside and outside of inserts can double the output. The technique gives a superb finish as the insert only cuts once and not on the trailing edge. Plus the insert chamfers the top of each part.

This follow up 51 station video shows the tool modified to: mill + chamfer + spot drill each part in one second!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mook For This Useful Post:

ductape (Oct 2, 2023), Jon (Oct 2, 2023), nova_robotics (Oct 2, 2023), piper184 (Oct 4, 2023), trevor_60_r (Oct 9, 2023), tuchie (Oct 6, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    First, thanks for the video. Second, I would like to see the cutter and watch what it does in slow motion.

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thanks

Mook's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mdhatter3 View Post
    First, thanks for the video. Second, I would like to see the cutter and watch what it does in slow motion.
    I comprehensively replied to your comment & hit the + Reply to thread button. I don't know where it has gone though. Did you get it as a message?

Thanks

Mook's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mdhatter3 View Post
    You can try slowing the video down towards the end where it is close up to see the toolpath.

The finished height of the parts is Z0 & the chamfer depth is Z-1. The parts are 0.5mm too long.

The toolpath is:

Rapid over the centre of part 1 @ Z1
    Feed to Z-1 to chamfer part 1
    Rapid to Z0
    Feed X axis to the centre of part 2 @ Z0. Cutting the top of part 1 with the inside of the inserts & simultaneously cutting part 2 with the outside of the inserts. I call this tandem milling.
    Feed to Z-1 to chamfer part 2
    Rapid to Z1
    Repeat.

The second video is the same except a spot drill is fitted into the cutter body and set to spot the correct depth at the chamfer depth.

The tandem milling produces a superb finish as there is no backcutting. I have a few videos to post showing the method to improve productivity & double insert life.
    There is another video showing large chamfers on large parts using the inside of a face mill and it shows the huge reduction in the tool travel with this method.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mook For This Useful Post:

mdhatter3 (Oct 3, 2023), rgsparber (Oct 8, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,875 Times in 1,673 Posts

Thanks Mook! We've added your Multipart Milling Fixture to our Milling category,
    as well as to your builder page: Mook's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,094 Times in 4,351 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I would be more interested in the holding fixture. It looks like vacuum holding with air ejection. The parts must be part of a huge batch to justify the fixture
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Mook's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I would be more interested in the holding fixture. It looks like vacuum holding with air ejection. The parts must be part of a huge batch to justify the fixture
    Hi Frank

The fixture holds the parts using o rings that compress to suit the individual parts. They are compressed by a cam plate moving bronze followers. Each station has a sleeve which can be changed for different component sizes. The cam plate is moved by jacking screws and locked with a pneumatic toggle clamp. Unloading uses a valve lapping rod with a rubber suction cup on the end. Here is a view of the inside, the cam plate can be seen on the left.
    Fixture for multiple parts & tandem milling example for superb finishes.-inside-clamp-module.jpg

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mook For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Oct 3, 2023), trevor_60_r (Oct 9, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,094 Times in 4,351 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Mook View Post
    Hi Frank

The fixture holds the parts using o rings that compress to suit the individual parts. They are compressed by a cam plate moving bronze followers. Each station has a sleeve which can be changed for different component sizes. The cam plate is moved by jacking screws and locked with a pneumatic toggle clamp. Unloading uses a valve lapping rod with a rubber suction cup on the end. Here is a view of the inside, the cam plate can be seen on the left.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inside clamp module.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	3.26 MB 
ID:	46289
    Hadn't thought of the fixture being made to accommodate more sizes. That is a well thought out fixture you have there. good for possibly millions of parts
    I usually say fewer than 4 like parts do a set up work up fixturing above 4 units. when batches can be in the 100s and repeat batches are likely spend the extra time to make a better fixture. when the possibility of 1000s per batch, get crazy and make your holding device as near to fully automatic as possible.

2,000+ Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information