If the fish you just caught swallows the hook (as opposed to biting the hook and being hooked in the mouth) getting the fish unhooked can be a frustrating operation. This is especially true if the fish is undersized and you want to unhook it and get it back in the water as quickly as possible so it can live.

Often the hook is embedded with its barb pointing towards the head of the fish. Long jaw fishing pliers (example in the background of second pic) can be useful but it's no easy job to hold a struggling fish in one hand, the pliers in the other hand, and locate and clamp the hook in the fish gullet. You need to clamp it in such a way that it can be pushed toward the tail to unseat the barb before removing it.

The first picture...

Fishhook dehooker-disgorger-1.jpg

shows the tool to make. An approximately 10" length of stiff steel wire (the one shown is 0.072" diameter but it's not terribly critical) has an open loop formed in the end then this open loop is turned perpendicular to the wire. (I had to anneal the wire to make this bend, YMMV.)

The second picture...

Fishhook dehooker-disgorger-2.jpg

shows how the tool is used. The hook is embedded in the rare Australian orange ruffy with its barb pointing to the right where lies the mouth of the catch. Obviously, pulling on the line is just going to seat the barb deeper. The tool loop has been wound onto the fishing line outside the fish (that's why it's an open loop) and slid down the line until it seats on the curve of the hook. Since the tool is guided by the line as it's slid, there's no problem getting the tool to where it needs to be - as there would be with pliers.

Then the tool is pushed to the left, which action pulls the barb out of the fish, causing minimum damage, and allows it to be withdrawn.

Observant critics will note that, once freed from the fish, the hook still has a chance of catching as it's drawn, point first out of the fish. I have my mind working on this problem. Probably a sliding tube that slides down the wire to cover the hook barb as its withdrawn.

Ten minutes to make and it won't take up much room in your tackle box. :-)