Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Digital tape measure - GIF

Thanks
    Thanked 30,282 Times in 9,998 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Feb 28, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Mar 6, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Pretty neat. These things work pretty well when it's warm. The display becomes invisible when exposed to cold. Nice inside tool, though.

2,000+ Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,215 Times in 660 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    My girlfriend bought me something similar. It works about 50% of the time. The other 50% it'll give you a value somewhere within an inch of the actual measurement. So I have to confirm the number on the LCD with an old school tape reading.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 852 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    They are good for things with a large tolerance, like estimating materials for a job, measuring rooms for carpet or paint, a realtor measuring rooms for a listing, , etc.

Not good for actually cutting things and expecting them to fit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Mar 6, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,007 Times in 1,900 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Ohhh my; finally the alternative to pesky increment markings.
    Literally, have instructed (irritated demonstration) some on reading a tape. Guess answers to "How many 16th's are there in an inch ....(interrogative pause)...?".
    In reality, the '........' applies to empty glance passing for an answer.
    Either way, it's crickets.
    How have language, phrases, and simplest of numerical values become 'I don't know." Boiled down, shouldn't a fraction be easier to visualize than a metric unit?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 852 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    snip...How have language, phrases, and simplest of numerical values become 'I don't know." Boiled down, shouldn't a fraction be easier to visualize than a metric unit?
    OH you hit one of my hot buttons**

YES it should be easy.

YES, fractions should be easy to visualize and to use. In fact kids begin learning about fractions in preschool with puzzles. Fractions are simple, but WAY TOO MANY, teachers, especially elementary school teachers do not have the proper background explain how a fraction works. So kids have a very poor foundational understanding of fractions from the very beginning. This is in NO WAY a dig at elementary school teachers, they have way too much on their plate. It is the fault of higher education and educational media companies. It begins with the "Number line" posted in most every elementary school classroom, in the USA anyway.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0. Why is it like this, the Zero does NOT belong there!!!!!! Zero belongs here ---> 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Students are taught that the Denominator is the bottom number, because it starts with D and the Numerator is the top number.... because the Denominator is on the bottom. DUH..... "Billy, in 1/4 which one is the Denominator".... response 4, "Very good Billy"...."Now Billy, why is 4 the Denominator".... response, because it is on the bottom.... "Very good Billy". AHHHHHHHH. Little things matter, this is why kids cannot do fractions.

This way more deep than the argument over metric vs imperial measurement systems. It goes to the very basis of a better understanding of math. Math itself should be easy but kids are told from very early that it is difficult, and they believe it.

This is an interesting link to reasons for decimals and fractions

FootNote
    **some background.

I have been retired for 12 years after teaching Industrial Technology** for 35 years. This class evolved from "shop class" or manual arts or industrial arts, whatever name may have applied over the years. The difference was the focus of the class. It was not metal shop, wood shop, or drafting. It was problem solving. With real problems. Teaching kids to seek solutions to issues, where there is not one right answer. I often had some idea of what some solutions might be, but there was never one right answer. Sometimes no one was able to solve the problem. The learning was in the process. Of course there had to be some instruction on how to use tools and equipment, but it was not the intent to become proficient in the use of a lathe or saw or some specific tool, but to become proficient at LEARNING how to do what NEEDS to be done.

One of the most REWARDING parts of my career was the 1,000's of times I saw a kids eyes light up when a REAL explanation of something, clicked in their brain.

Unfortunately, Industrial Technology has been discarded in most schools in the USA in favor of "Tech Prep" or STEM or STEAM. These new iterations SHOULD be good. The premise is good. However way too many of the programs are commercially marketed products. These classes in a can have a very rigorous syllabus filled with artificial "hands on" activities. All of the real problem solving and opportunities for "learning from mistakes", have been filtered out. Supposedly, schools can "buy" a program, that can be taught by anyone off the street.
    This is currently working out really well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Mar 7, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,007 Times in 1,900 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    hemmjo, thanks for the link.
    How did things get so far from logical? I recall early exposure to number line, fractions etc, and obviously it worked. Positive that's what made adoption/ integrating metrics not the issue some have with it, or wishing disposal of the imperial system, as both have merit (don't hit me Marv K.). Still, both have common use where they are a detriment too (don't hit me Marv K.). Measurement, tolerances, general calculation, density, stability, volume, miles per gallon, ratios, time per part etc could be my favorite 'work' part of making things, all tied to that number line.......

Getting ever closer, agenda of a limited trade school to help fund my shop. Plenty of willing attendees, all immediate neighbors. The mix is interesting and a surprise; younger males but the females are somewhat older. Many young enough I can prove to them faults in their exposure to education and prepped to enter workforce (sans cubicles), or leastwise an enjoyable pastime. Have theorized that gap is a result of education personified.

One thing is working right now; the sample textbooks are not the same for each student. Literally forces them to interact, read, interpret and deduce what is correct or best combination collectively. None of that "OK class, let's turn to page 128 what ever; instead will be "find your section on thread nomenclature". It takes advantage of the internet not being ideal source of reference - until you know the vocabulary - which is not presented in the proper order.

Rough lesson plans come from my personal textbooks, but cover Audels, Machinist Handbook, Colvin & Stanley, and many others; very best is still "Machinery Repairman 3 & 2" from US Navy, and equivalent from US Army. Expect an influx of new, fresh HMT'ers Jon.

Think I'll find marketing agent for that digital tape and irritate him about material of that line and standard temperature/ humidity for calibration, just for fun .

2,000+ Tool Plans
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Mar 7, 2022 at 08:27 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information