Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: crushed tubing ends

Supporting Member thevillageinn's Avatar
    Thanks

thevillageinn's Tools

crushed tubing ends

Inspired by a recent post where we saw some nice tooling and a press crushing and possibly even punching a hole in tubing ends I realized that would be the easiest way to fabricate some leg braces for a rolling cooler at work.

I grabbed some 1/4 x 1" steel strap scraps and made them fit over the jaws of my vise. I ground a small concave section to create the radius at the transition from round tube to flat end. I quickly annealed the tube to make the crush more successful and flattened it with the vise finishing with a hammer.
    crushed tubing ends-img_0783.jpg

crushed tubing ends-img_0784.jpg

I ground a radius and deburred the flat ends, added some holes and now I have a few cross braces ready for installation.

crushed tubing ends-img_0786.jpg

The "dies" could use a little fine tuning but for what this is and my first go at this - worked great.
    My thanks to everyone who contributes here - there's a wealth of knowledge and you never know what will spark an idea for something down the road.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,875 Times in 1,673 Posts

Thanks thevillageinn! We've added your Tube Crushing Vise Jaws to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: thevillageinn's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thread Information