Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Cordless Power Tool Vacuum Cleaner Auto-Starter

Thanks

Dr.Al's Tools

Cordless Power Tool Vacuum Cleaner Auto-Starter

My vacuum cleaner has a power tool socket on the front. If you plug a mains-powered tool into the socket, the vacuum cleaner will start automatically when you start the power tool. I find that a really useful feature as it saves me from having to walk over to the vacuum cleaner to start it (and I can easily forget to do so and not realise that the vacuum cleaner isn't running as the vacuum cleaner sound is drowned out by the power tool, especially if wearing ear defenders).

The only problem with the power tool socket is that it's no use at all if you're using battery powered tools. I love my cordless track saw as it's so handy when you're cutting stuff up in the garden (I don't bother with a vacuum cleaner in that case). However, when I'm working in the garage I want to catch the dust with the vacuum cleaner. This is my way of making that easier:

Cordless Power Tool Vacuum Cleaner Auto-Starter-both_starters_on_tools.jpg

Cordless Power Tool Vacuum Cleaner Auto-Starter-both_starters_on_bench.jpg

I designed these "battery adaptors" that sit in between the tool and the battery. They monitor the current in the battery and, when the current increases, they transmit 433*MHz radio signals to an off-the-shelf remote-controlled socket, turning it on and off as appropriate. As a result, when you start the tool, the vacuum cleaner (plugged into the socket) starts and, when you stop the tool, there's a 2 second delay to catch any leftover sawdust and then the vacuum cleaner stops.

Here's a very short video of it in action (first run is with the unit turned off; second is with the unit turned on). Keep an eye on the red light on the power socket in the background.

I've documented all the details of the design including everything needed to make it, full and detailed assembly instructions, how to customise it for other sockets (or potentially even other brands of power tool) and links to all the stuff you need to download. All that information and lots more photos are available at this link: https://www.cgtk.co.uk/woodwork/powe...essvacuumstart

Cordless Power Tool Vacuum Cleaner Auto-Starter-all_wired_up.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Metalworking projects site: https://www.cgtk.co.uk/metalwork
    Woodworking projects site: https://www.cgtk.co.uk/woodwork

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dr.Al For This Useful Post:

cagiva (Mar 1, 2022), Jon (Mar 1, 2022), rayh__ (Mar 6, 2022), rlm98253 (Feb 28, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Mar 1, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,868 Times in 1,667 Posts

Thanks Dr.Al! We've added your Cordless Tool Vacuum Cleaner Starter to our Electronics category,
    as well as to your builder page: Dr.Al's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 3,001 Times in 1,898 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    File a self-addressed envelope IMMEDIATELY with full description and specifications.
    This might be the single most patent worthy item in all of HMT.net
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Dr.Al's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    File a self-addressed envelope IMMEDIATELY with full description and specifications.
    This might be the single most patent worthy item in all of HMT.net
    Thanks for the kind words. I was very pleased with the idea, but I'm not interested in pursuing it commercially. It would cost a lot to get it certified for radio and EMC requirements and I'd also have to make my own version of the remote-controlled socket to be able to market it properly, and that comes with electrical safety regulation issues and having to deal with different plug standards and the fact that some strange countries don't even use 230 V as their mains voltage . I do this as a hobby and life's too short!

I've already published all of the design details on-line so it would be too late to patent it anyway. The design details are released under a licence that prevents direct copying by anyone wanting to make money out of it (but free for anyone that just wants to make one for themselves). It doesn't stop someone copying the idea and making their own version but I don't have a problem with someone doing that if they want to.
    Metalworking projects site: https://www.cgtk.co.uk/metalwork
    Woodworking projects site: https://www.cgtk.co.uk/woodwork

Thanks
    Thanked 3,001 Times in 1,898 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Understand not pursuing it personally; harder to get head around not a degree of compensation. Like the guy who invented intermediate wipers.

2,000+ Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information