Get tool plans

User Tag List

Thread: Bus disembarking ferry swaying heavily in rough waters - GIF

Thanks
    Thanked 30,233 Times in 9,995 Posts

Bus disembarking ferry swaying heavily in rough waters - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Apr 2, 2024), Ralphxyz (Apr 3, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,027 Times in 4,321 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Leaving Vashon Island one winter of 90 or 91 during a bad storm I was driving my class 7 tractor trailer being just a 4 axle rig a little cabover Kenworth made in Brail by Volkswagen bumper to taillights only 45 feet total length my step deck trailer only had a single pallet strapped on it I think there were 4 other rigs waiting in line to board the ferry. we all had to wait until all of the cars had loaded then I wound up being the guinea pig to try and get my rig onboard. The ramps there are attached to the dock not the ferries. The flagman stepped up on the side of my truck and yelled you watch that man on the ferry when he signals you gun this thing for all it's worth.
    don't slow down until you are completely on the boat. I had swapped out the 6 speeds for a 13 speed and had turned the little 8.9 up from 225 to 310 Shetland ponies changed the spring suspension out for an air ride. so when he told me to get ready, I slipped the transmission into 3rd gear on the signal I eased out of the clutch and stabbed the throttle. by the time I hit the beginning of the ramp i was already at 1400 RPMs and 2800 by the time I exited the other end. even as the ferry dropped into the low of a swell my steer tires hit on the far left the ferry was slipping to the left so even with only 139 inches between the steer and the drive tires, I was already beginning to be pulled sideways I turned hard to the right and by the time my short step deck was on the boat I was nearly in a half jackknife. I spun the wheel to the left and had just about gotten straightened out by the time I entered the tunnel of the boat. Mine was the only semi rig they allowed on that trip because they figured a full-sized longer rig wouldn't be responsive enough to duplicate my maneuver. That was also the last ferry either to or from the Island for three days.
    I think that was my best almost brown pants moment.

2,000+ Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

BuffaloJohn (Apr 2, 2024), KustomsbyKent (Apr 2, 2024), Ralphxyz (Apr 3, 2024)

Thread Information