Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 6x4 Bandsaw throwing blades

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,110 Times in 412 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

6x4 Bandsaw throwing blades

Hi All
    I have had plenty of issues with my 4x6 bandsaw. I am sentimental about this little saw as my mother bought it new for me when I first started out. So it is 35 plus years old

I have made many modifications and what I consider improvements to this machine. But no matter what I have tried from new it just keeps throwing blades. So enough is enough! l decided to try and machine the drive and idler wheels with a 2 degree taper back towards the flanged edge to correct this problem. This did work and stopped the blade from throwing off the wheels but created a different issue. As soon as the blade came into contact with the workpiece the blade would slip on the wheels. I couldn’t put any more tension on the blade and all other checks had been made with no improvement.

I left it for a week and was now considering purchasing a more industrial machine secondhand. But the machine had one last chance. I purchased some EVA foam seal tape self adhesive strip 10 mm wide 1 mm thick which is used for door or window insulation. Applied it to the driven wheel only and the blade no longer slips or jumps off the wheels. The foam acts like a tire which is found on the more expensive machines. It has been on the machine for a month and several cuts made with no issues.

6x4 Bandsaw throwing blades-img_8287.jpeg Tape on wheel

6x4 Bandsaw throwing blades-img_8288.jpegBlade teeth doesn’t ride on the tape.

6x4 Bandsaw throwing blades-img_8232.jpegMachining taper

6x4 Bandsaw throwing blades-img_8231.jpegSurface is very smooth which I think caused the blade slippage.

So hopefully if anyone is having this issue a cheap fix at £5.99 for 10 meters.
    I know it has only taken 35 years to fix
    Thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer

2,000+ Tool Plans

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

emu roo (Jun 5, 2024), Hoosiersmoker (Jun 5, 2024), Jon (Jun 5, 2024), mr mikey (Jun 5, 2024), thevillageinn (Jun 5, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,667 Times in 717 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by thehomeengineer View Post
    Hi All
    I have had plenty of issues with my 4x6 bandsaw. I am sentimental about this little saw as my mother bought it new for me when I first started out. So it is 35 plus years old........

So hopefully if anyone is having this issue a cheap fix at £5.99 for 10 meters.
    I know it has only taken 35 years to fix
    Thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer
    You might find an old post of mine to be of interest Making bandsaw wheels
    For the tyres I cut strips out from the outer and inner circumferences of a bicycle inner tube and stuck that on with contact adhesive. They have lasted for several years of regular use.

2,000+ Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jun 5, 2024), thehomeengineer (Jun 9, 2024)

Thread Information