Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Students cutting wood using a hacksaw - GIF

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 628 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ductape View Post
    There is a noticeable trend of younger people choosing trade school over subjectively less useful degrees. Hope, indeed.
    Thank God. Things were so screwed up for decades. EVERYBODY went to university for communications or gender studies degrees so they could graduate and make coffee at Starbucks. There's a terrible labor shortage problem in almost every industry now. Younger people will not do hands on work. You walk into any construction site or plant and you'll see a whole bunch of people who are 50+, a lot who are 40-50, a few who are 30-40, and not many under 30s. There is going to be a catastrophic labor crash in 10-15 years as people start retiring. A number of countries are experiencing this. Things are going to get interesting....

This is my whole thing by the way. I build automated systems for industry so they can dodge the labor crash.

So speaking of soft spoiled younger people. Last year I was trying to hire somebody. I have a shop that's about 30 minutes outside a major city. I went through, I dunno, 30+ people and couldn't get anyone. Why? NOBODY WAS WILLING TO DRIVE TO WORK. And this wasn't a money thing. Most of the time we didn't even get to the point where wages were discussed. Everybody just wants to work from home.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by nova_robotics; May 2, 2024 at 05:30 AM.

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ductape View Post
    There is a noticeable trend of younger people choosing trade school over subjectively less useful degrees. Hope, indeed.
    Where the US leads the UK will surely follow, I hope so in this case as we're still in the thrall of getting a University degree, and I say that as a University Tech. Too many s-too-dense have absolutely no chance of paying off their student debts, a great way of keeping them poor that suits the elites.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Looks like some kind of competition or final exam maybe?
    "Divided We Stand, Together We Rise!" - (From "White Feather") - Marillion

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    You can go far in masonry if you have the drive.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    This makes me spit, just look at the set up, the way the vise is wobbling. And I bet there’s not a handsaw anywhere, or chisels. I saw technology teaching degenerate from thorough grounding in basic shop practice, to colouring in worksheets, (this was “design”.) When kids wanted to make, say, a box, they had no idea how to join the sides. The girl does not look learning disabled! But she hasn’t the sense to turn the plank over! However, what makes me spit even more is the saying, “…those who can’t, teach.” I taught and I can. Those who quote it are inverted snobs.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Davies View Post
    “…those who can’t, teach.” I taught and I can. Those who quote it are inverted snobs.
    That phrase is very old and may be more about understanding than ability. Depending on the situation, it didn't apply then and certainly doesn't now.
    Last edited by ductape; May 3, 2024 at 04:35 PM. Reason: clarity

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    Thank God. Things were so screwed up for decades. EVERYBODY went to university for communications or gender studies degrees so they could graduate and make coffee at Starbucks. There's a terrible labor shortage problem in almost every industry now. Younger people will not do hands on work. You walk into any construction site or plant and you'll see a whole bunch of people who are 50+, a lot who are 40-50, a few who are 30-40, and not many under 30s. There is going to be a catastrophic labor crash in 10-15 years as people start retiring. A number of countries are experiencing this. Things are going to get interesting....

This is my whole thing by the way. I build automated systems for industry so they can dodge the labor crash.

So speaking of soft spoiled younger people. Last year I was trying to hire somebody. I have a shop that's about 30 minutes outside a major city. I went through, I dunno, 30+ people and couldn't get anyone. Why? NOBODY WAS WILLING TO DRIVE TO WORK. And this wasn't a money thing. Most of the time we didn't even get to the point where wages were discussed. Everybody just wants to work from home.
    You are correct. Young people (some of them) these days are in for a rude awakening. IMHO, because at some point they will have to do something to earn their keep.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Thread Information