Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Phase Converter (Create 3-phase power from a single phase source)

Thanks
    I am curious to know if the plans are scalable. I have a 5' x 10' CNC router table that needs around 30A of 208VAC three phase and the accompanying vacuum pump is another 10HP....

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    This will be a hand drawing. I have to redo it. Give me time its coming. Bean real busy latly

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by lintelle View Post
    I am curious to know if the plans are scalable. I have a 5' x 10' CNC router table that needs around 30A of 208VAC three phase and the accompanying vacuum pump is another 10HP....
    The short answer is 'yes' Lintelle. The pony motor doesn't care and the idler (3-phaes generator [kind of]) must be 1.33 times the total final load. The idler's associated fusing must be no more than 1.25 times the total load. The wiring must be capable of the total running under load ampere requirement. If you'll post the total HP and application 3-phase voltage (208 I guess), I'll research what you'll need but you will need to have a local, licensed electrician give my numbers his blessing.

Thanks
    Are you working with 208 or is the machine tool 208
    If you have in shop 208 that is three phase at you door step

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by lintelle View Post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rotary Phase Converter (Create 3-phase power from a single phase source)-three-phase.jpg  
    Last edited by smithdoor; Dec 14, 2016 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Are you working with 208 or is the machine tool 208
    If you have in shop 208 that is three phase at you door step

Dave
    Just wondering what bearing your post, Dave, has to do with Mr. Lintelle's inquiry about horsepower.

Thanks
    The question is (If you have three why would you need converter?)
    To me it simple just change a meter ring to 4 pole and skip the converter Their may be some else that I do not know at this time

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by nhengineer View Post
    Just wondering what bearing your post, Dave, has to do with Mr. Lintelle's inquiry about horsepower.

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post

"I am curious to know if the plans are scalable. I have a 5' x 10' CNC router table that needs around 30A of 208VAC three phase and the accompanying vacuum pump is another 10HP.... "

The question is (If you have three why would you need converter?)
    To me it simple just change a meter ring to 4 pole and skip the converter Their may be some else that I do not know at this time

Dave
    I interpret Lintelle's inquiry to be is my design scaleable since that was what he asked.

Thanks

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Interesting Rob, thanks for posting that! We can add a note to the plans about compatibility with Australian electrical systems.

If the plans won't work in your country, you can always use our 30-day money back guarantee. Just send me an email to plans@homemadetools.net and I'll process the refund instantly.
    Just thought I should add t this discussion: The same problem experienced by Rob would most likely also apply to New Zealand and South Africa, among others, as former British colonies. We inherited the British system and hence the 220V single phase supply.

Thanks
    Rotary type will work on 220 v 50 hz
    FYI in 2000's they change the voltage to 240v still 50hz see http://ewh.ieee.org/r10/nsw/subpages...e-Voltages.pdf
    What size are planning on building???

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Henri View Post
    Just thought I should add t this discussion: The same problem experienced by Rob would most likely also apply to New Zealand and South Africa, among others, as former British colonies. We inherited the British system and hence the 220V single phase supply.
    Last edited by smithdoor; Dec 27, 2016 at 04:02 PM. Reason: update on voltage

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Henri View Post
    Ah so, this situation is not unique to Australia then. That means my design will not work for any former British Crown Colony location and GB itself. I'll see if I can find a work around.
    Last edited by nhengineer; Dec 28, 2016 at 03:43 PM.

Thread Information